Real identity with real pictures / nicknames and avatars — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Real identity with real pictures / nicknames and avatars

Options
iza
iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
Hi, I must say that I do not understand why here at the Scope community online forum only few people are open enough to share they real life picture in profile with original name, where the other hide themselves behind avatars and nicknames. This is organisation who is supporting equality 🟰 in life. Using  equality 🟰 symbols in logo. Why we cannot than be all equal 🟰 here as well? Why some people are afraid to use normal pictures and normal first name ?Why here we cannot be simply ourselves? Why here we cannot recognise each other’s and be normal, instead being  avatars? If I don’t have a problem to use my original first name and my actual pictures why others do have problem with that ? Should be the roles  for all members not equal 🟰? 

Comments

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry but i really do disagree with you on this iza 
    There is nothing wrong in using  different name or "avatar"  i bet a lot of people open up more and say things about their feelings etc knowing that they will be seen by some one who knows them!!!!!
    Just because you have a "problem" with it does not mean that i do!
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Agree with the others even tho I have my pic on that is my choice and everyone has a right to their own choice and understand they want to maintain security and privacy 

When I first put a pic on I got several unwanted private messages of inappropriate nature 
  • SueHeath
    Options
    That's sad to hear @janer1967 x
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. If I was close with a certain member I’d be more than happy to keep in contact privately but on a public forum it really is not wise to give too much information out. Example, I could look through a members different posts and I could find a lot out about them by adding it all together.
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,876 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't mind using an avatar and having a username, to each there own i guess, better to be cautious, as you don't know who you are dealing with really
  • SueHeath
    Options
    Just been thinking about this thread - just a thought tho so i will put it out there -
    Looking at the scopes picture do you think it would be good if we had a choice to either the picture having long hair or something to show if we are female or male - only a thought. x
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,662 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I too disagree it's a person's choice and there are no rules here which say different. I used to have my pic up but then one day I cloned on here.  I also agree with @bg844. It's about safety. Also some people don't feel confident putting a pic up.  I Prefer my late cat pic he's more handsome then me. So @iza I get that you like to gawp at everyone but we're not in a zoo
  • Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    I think you get to know more about someone’s personality through what they say rather than what they look like. Members personal choice is paramount. 
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,444 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
            I wouldn't call it "being afraid" I'd call it common sense not to give too much away online. I love talking to people on this forum but I don't wish for them to know who I am or where I live. No disrespect to any of you out there but I like to keep my life private. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,730 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Agreed it's a matter of personal choice some members know my first name many don't, I've been on many forums over the years and never used my name. But those who chose to then that's fine with me. As for a photo you really don't want me to share that 💀
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,125 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I agree with the comments already made by others. I don't consider it 'hiding' to use an avatar, rather commonsense on a public forum. It's up to the individual to do as they wish; I certainly wouldn't try to impose one way of doing things on other members.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2022
    Options
    SueHeath said:
    Just been thinking about this thread - just a thought tho so i will put it out there -
    Looking at the scopes picture do you think it would be good if we had a choice to either the picture having long hair or something to show if we are female or male - only a thought. x
    You can @sueheath if you go to your profile picture and press 'edit profile' and then 'edit picture' there are some different scope options that have long hair or short or glasses and stuff <3 It's a shame it doesn't load the options when you sign up so you can see to pick but it's good they have some. 
  • life
    life Community member Posts: 527 Pioneering
    Options
    @iza that's what Facebooks for lol. But seriously I just think people on here prefer the privacy.
  • SueHeath
    Options
    SueHeath said:
    You can @sueheath if you go to your profile picture and press 'edit profile' and then 'edit picture' there are some different scope options that have long hair or short or glasses and stuff <3 It's a shame it doesn't load the options when you sign up so you can see to pick but it's good they have some. 
    Thats great thanks i will have a look at that thank you x
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 7,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi
    I feel it is down to everyone to choose what they want there photo or an avatar, or photo off there pet.
    Its not down to someone else to make that choice for them.

I hope everyone is having a good day.❤️
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    I have nothing to hide, nor am I scared of putting my details up; I choose to use a picture of a tompot blenny and the screen name I have for particular reasons.
    I have a tompot blenny photo up because I used to SCUBA dive; I went for a medical to be an instructor but failed that and was advised not to dive again.  The tompot blenny is my memory of when I could dive.
    My screen name is Cartini because of a user name I had when I left the Royal Navy and got my first civilian job as a freelancer in IT.  Over the years that morphed to what it is now.
    My name is Andy; I end most of my comments with "Andy" and have absolutely no problem people knowing that.
    I also live in Plymouth; I`ve mentioned this in one or two threads.
    Working in IT, I`ll be mega impressed if anyone could find me or my home based on Andy, Cartini and Plymouth.
    If I used my full name, that would be a different matter because anyone can join 192.com and search on a person`s name.
  • emancherry33
    emancherry33 Community member Posts: 3,640 Pioneering
    Options
    I have a advartar which is a real life animal I see it while going for a local walk, mainly as I have in the past had my identity defrauded online and did not know it was happening till a friend said why you on this and saying that I was horrified so I am very cautious about given any information on line so it's a no no for me to show my identity if possible but it's interesting to see what advartar people use and what they may look like. It should be about personal choice.
  • Siwheels73
    Siwheels73 Scope Member Posts: 746 Pioneering
    Options
    Sorry, @iza, I agree with the majority here. Nicknames give a certain amount of protection to people on here. It should be for the individual person if they wish to name themselves or to protect themselves.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I once had a very nasty long running experience online too and so my avatar is a Gazania flower which looked gorgeous in real life and my name is fictional of course.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.