I need to just lay it all out — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I need to just lay it all out

Options
jamrumples
jamrumples Community member Posts: 112 Connected
I’m frightened, like beyond. The cost of living has me so scared. 

Benefits aren’t cutting it, but me working is just also I’m really struggling to see how it could ever work for me. 

I’m in my 30’s, I have no qualifications,  very limited work experience. I’ve worked in retail and in the care sector for a small time only. 

I’ve been out of work for near on 7 years now. I couldn’t return to retail, I cannot CANNOT have a job working around males. The trauma this will cause me is, I just can’t but I’m not qualified in anything to get myself a job in a female dominated area of work. 

I’m in bits, I’ve been sat thinking about how this is my life. How is this all I’ve achieved. How and where and why did it all go SO wrong.  

If I’m to go back to work will they take into consideration that I cannot handle being around makes or am I just to have yet another emotional breakdown? 

Please somebody help me. How do I go on? What do I do? 

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't think many employers would agree to you not ever being around males which is a shame :( 

Have you checked you're getting all the benefits you're entitled to and whether any of your bills could be changed to cheaper tariffs? There are some that are exclusively for people receiving benefits like I think BT has one and water things. 

Could you look for work from home jobs so if you have to interact with any males it is at least at a distance? And have you had any counselling? <3 
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    Options
    So sorry to hear of your problems. 

Do you have any skills making things?  Sewing, knitting, woodwork or other crafts?  Could you make and sell stuff online?

Do you feel able to volunteer for any women's refuge type organisations?  They would certainly understand your fears.  Volunteering may help you to increase your skills and could possibly lead to a job in one of these types of organisations. 

Do you like reading or writing?  Could you be a proof reader or an author?

You've obviously been through some trauma.   As @Biblioklept says, I  hope you've had some counselling. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @jamrumples and thanks for reaching out today, I can hear how distressed you're feeling about the cost of living, and finding work you'll feel comfortable with.

You certainly haven't gone wrong at all, and I'm sure you're not alone in feeling this way, and talking about it is a positive step. I can see our members have shared some very helpful suggestions about volunteering, and counselling as well. 

Can I ask if your GP is aware of how all this is impacting on your mental health, and whether they might be able to support you? Do you feel like you're getting enough support day to day?

I wonder do you know about Scope's Employment Support Services? All of our employment support services are designed for working-age disabled people, so I'd encourage you to see if we can help. 

If you're looking for professional advice local to you, try searching Advice Local under the 'employment' section. 

You'd be welcome to give the Scope Helpline a call as well, if you'd like to run through everything with one of our advisers.

If you're looking for practical advice to help with the cost of living, Scope's Disability Energy Support Service offers free energy and water advice, and there's Mental Health and Money Advice too. 

I hope that's useful for you, and if you've still got questions or feel we can help further, please do say. We'll do our best to support you :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.