Son on ESA and SDP moving house- will he be transferred to UC? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Son on ESA and SDP moving house- will he be transferred to UC?

Options
Kitty1
Kitty1 Community member Posts: 46 Connected
Hi there
I hope everyone is keeping well. I am just wondering if you could advise me on my disabled son’s situation please. 

He has had to move from his flat due to being ‘cuckooed’ and was put up in a hotel and then they decided he should go into supported housing so he has a key worker. However, this is temporary whilst they make a final decision and it may be that his new place is not supported. We are not sure as yet. 

My son is on ESA Support Group and gets high rate in care and mobility PIP. I am worried that with all these changes he will end up having to claim UC and losing his SDP before managed migration. 

He will be staying in the same council area so I am not sure what will happen. Thanks if you can advice. 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I assume that he is getting Housing Benefit to cover the rent in his existing accommodation. 

If so, as he is staying in the same local authority he should be able to stay on Housing Benefit even if he moves into non temporary or supported accommodation - although his local authority may tell him different.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Kitty1
    Kitty1 Community member Posts: 46 Connected
    Options
    yes he is receiving HB now. That is good news. Thank you. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm glad to see you've found calcotti's reply useful @Kitty1 is there anything else you're unsure of?

Can I ask whether you feel your son is getting enough support after what has happened, particularly for his mental health? 

I hope he's able to continue living in supported accommodation, let us know how that goes if you are able to, and if you feel we could offer any further support, please do ask.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.