Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Hi, my name is lainey23! I'm about to have a total hip replacement. Any tips for recovery?

Options
lainey23
lainey23 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi everyone. I’m about to have a total hip replacement. Any tips for recovery and while in hospital? I’ve already had my knees done a few years ago. How does this compare.thanks  

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,505 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @lainey23 :) Thank you for joining us. How are you doing today? 

This reminded me of another thread, created by one of our members a while back: Hip replacement advice.

On that thread, I said the following, which you may find helpful:
    My dad has had both of his hips replaced, so I asked him about his experience. He said:

I'd recommend the NHS site and the Royal College of Surgeons of England site.

However my experience on a THR (total hip replacemenet, there are other types) was: 
    • In hospital 3 days. 
    • Walking with stick from weeks 1 to 6, gradually increasing from indoors to outdoors if not slippery! Can be quicker. 
    • Walking un-aided from weeks 6 to 12, and driving from after week 6 at a minimum.
    • Resumed normal activities thereafter, but no impact sport.
    • Physio from weeks 2 to 6 normally, not too often as all exercises can be done at home.
    • Big pain control (on very strong tablets once out of hospital) was essential for the first few weeks while the muscle etc. heals. Should be off them after week 6, and gradually reducing from week 2.
    • Benefits: all pain has gone for good, and you should be able to do what you did before it all started (unless you were a mountain climber or something). 
    • It's essential you have someone at home, or visiting to help, for the first week, preferably 3. It took me 8 intricate movements to get a cup of tea from kitchen to lounge when using sticks!
    • You also need to consider how you'll be getting food supplies, and how you'll be able to get to your physiotherapy appointments.
    • Don't overdo it! I overdid it by trying to do too much on my own after my second hip replacement, and it really set me back in my recovery.
    Everyone is different though. Some people are bouncing around after 3 or 4 weeks, and some struggle a bit for 12 weeks or more.

I hope that helps a little bit!

Have you spoken to your doctor about any concerns you have, or what you should be able to expect?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • charlie204
    charlie204 Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    Options
    Just seen your post. I haven’t visited this site for a while. I’ve had a hip replaced. Please be aware that anaesthesia will exacerbate pre existing conditions. In my case it sped up MS. Good luck and stay safe.
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    No problem @lainey23 :) You're welcome to pop back to the community whenever you'd like!

Did the surgery go okay? I'm sorry to hear that your MS may have progressed.

• charlie204
    Options
    Surgery itself ok. Just wanted to make you aware that’s all.
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    The MS Trust website says the following @charlie204:

If you need to have surgery or anaesthesia, you may be concerned about whether they could affect your MS. Your surgeon needs to know that you have MS before an operation, but for most people with MS, surgery itself holds no extra risks compared to the rest of the population. A recent study of 281 patients undergoing surgery found no increase in the risk of having a relapse in the 3 months following an operation.

It is possible that being stressed or anxious could trigger a relapse, or make your MS symptoms worse. Anecdotally, recovering from surgery can also exacerbate MS symptoms, particularly fatigue. If you are worried about an upcoming operation, do talk about your fears with your MS team, and find ways to calm your nerves and get enough rest beforehand.

After an operation, allow plenty of time to recover. It may take you longer to fully recover than a person without MS. You may need to book more time off work, or make sure you have enough support with chores, meals and childcare in the weeks after an operation. 
    Studies have not found any connection between anaesthesia and an increased risk of relapse or a worsening of multiple sclerosis symptoms. As a result, for the majority of people with MS, there is no need to avoid anaesthesia when required, including spinal or epidural anaesthesia during childbirth.

The potential exception is people with severe, advanced MS, who may be seriously weakened or have respiratory problems that would put them at greater risk for anaesthetic complications.
    Have you spoken to your medical team about how you've been feeling since the operation?

• charlie204
    Options
    2 things here. I disagree with ms trust as it  was not my experience regardless of studies.
    Surgery was years ago. Please stop asking me about my issues, which were dealt with at the time. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.