What's the best way to use up leftovers? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What's the best way to use up leftovers?

Options
Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
What's your best tip or recipe for using up leftovers?

I realise this won't solve the cost of living crisis but, as many of us are looking at ways to save money and make the most out of what we buy, I'd be interested in hearing your suggestions :) 
National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,749 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    if we have a large joint of pork for Sunday lunch we save half, then on Monday we make some. gravy put the meat on a tray and heat it up in the oven for 20-30 mins and have it with chips, that way we get 2 meals for around £8 (inc veg etc).
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I make bubble and squeak from left over veg and mash from Sunday lunch 
    When I worked I always put a portion of left over meals in tupperware and heated in microwave for lunch at work 

Batch cook and freeze so only cooking once and easy go to meal for other day 

Use left over Sunday joint an sandwiches 

Use stale bread as breadcrumbs or croutons 

Make soup out of veggies 

Left over pan juices from roast put in dish and you have dripping for toast or to use for frying 
  • Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    I make croutons with left over stale bread, sprinkled with black pepper and paprika, good for adding to soups and salads. Potato cakes and fish cakes with left over mash. Soup with spare veg and left over noodles from a stir fry added to the soup. Left over pastry from a pie, I use it to make little jam tarts. Casserole with left over meat from a Sunday lunch and freeze left over gravy in ice cubes trays to use later. If there are a couple of biscuits left in a packet I crush them to sprinkle over ice cream. I also use left over bits of soap melted in hot water to wash the dog bedding with a little disinfectant. I put the dog hair from grooming out for the birds, they collect it for their nests.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Those are all great tips and ideas, thanks for sharing everyone! :)  
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Ha @Pam :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Padraig
    Padraig Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Options
    I love one pot wonders that do more than one night or can be frozen. Cooking extra in one go is economic plus it is easier on standing and energy level es of cooking from scratch twice.

It’s amazing what you can include in a curry or casserole. Plus omelettes and risotto is good for using up left overs plus anything goes in a sandwich!
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,802 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When I do proper cooking it lasts for 2 days. Like stew and currys. With roast I have enough left for another 1 day after, or sandwiches with the meat. Veg in fridge that need using will go in a soup. Also meals  in freezer for another time. If I've got alot milk that needs using I'll make a pud.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.