Your supermarket choice - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Your supermarket choice

Options
2»

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Steve_in_The_City I can relate to that, supermarket browsing is one of my guilty pleasures, especially the middle aisle of a certain shop. It's where I bump into most people and it 'gets me out of the house' on days it feels like the walls are coming in; it's definitely been a lifeline during maternity leave as some days are verrrry long with a little one, and just to feel part of civilisation ( :D ) made all the difference.

I know some of you may remember this, but just to remind others, Scope researched and produced a report about the accessibility of supermarkets during the pandemic. Although written under the context of covid-19, most of it still applies today so do take a look the next time you fancy a read. Let us know if you have any more thoughts too! 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 568 Pioneering
    Options
    @Cher_Scope Don't worry about supermarket browsing being a "guilty pleasure" because having a baby is a big deal I am told (I've never had one myself!) and I believe it can leave some people feeling a little blue. So getting out and about and escaping the walls that are coming in (tell me about it) is a good thing! Now, as you have confessed to your little guilty pleasure I am going to go public with my guilty shopping pleasure that is practically a fetish! I love to watch people shopping. I see them getting out their mobiles to check things (guilty myself) and phoning partners to discuss whether or not to spend 90p on a packet of ginger nuts! It tickles me pink. Further in to the depravity of this fetish, I can tell at a glance what type of lifestyle someone has by what they put in their shopping basket! And if they should buy a newspaper, I really do know all about them! And I love the conversations. Recently 2 young women were giving the guy behind the fish counter a hard time because they wanted to know what was organic, and what wasn't. Eventually they selected fish they didn't want because it was organic! But the best place to watch people dithering and prevaricating is in the bakery aisle. It is hilariously comical. Today (yesterday now) I sat patiently on my mobility scooter for around 8 minutes while a young couple discussed what type of sugar they needed! They completely blocked the sugar and flour section so after a long wait I said "would you mind passing me a bag of that flour, and by the way you want standard caster sugar".

But it is at the checkout I have the most fun. I won't go in to it. But as pervy as my watching people shop fetish is, I don't worry about it. As Freud tells us, a fetish is only a problem if it goes against societal mores!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.