Your supermarket choice — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Your supermarket choice

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,701 Disability Gamechanger
Just wondering out of curiosity if people go to whatever supermarket is closest or do you travel to your preferred one?

And which supermarket do you prefer based on prices and quality combined?

I like Tesco as I feel it’s a good compromise between price and quality, and we do travel to get there, about 6 miles by car.

We also have an M&S close by which is convenient for treats but expensive for everyday items.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We have an order delivered every week from Tesco, we sometimes also order from Ocado as they have M&S products, we also occasionally go to home bargains they are great for household stuff.

We've tried Aldi but not keen (and thats not me being a snob), but do like Lidl when we go there.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• 66Mustang
    Options
    I always get Aldi and Lidl mixed up!! I think we have a Lidl within a short drive and it’s quite nice there I find, you can get some decent stuff at good prices. The one thing I found is that like to make you queue, when the queues get “too short” they take someone off checkouts and make them do something else, making the queue long again. I guess that’s how they can afford to sell things competitively as they are paying less staff.
  • life
    life Community member Posts: 527 Pioneering
    Options
    Iceland for the frozen food. Just throw frozen food in the freezer. Then put them in the air fryer to make the food quick as possible. I get it delivered once every week , week and a half. 
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @Teddybear12 enjoy, I like rarebit :yum:
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,397 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Tesco is my shop and usually travel about 4 miles. I like the Clubcard offers they have. 
    I sometimes go to Lidl or Aldi for a few things, if I run out during the week. Don’t usually do a weekly shop there though.
    I do use B&M because of their cheaper cleaning products and the cat litter I get from there is more than £1 cheaper. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I usually go to Morrison's, as it's my closest one. There's also a Food Warehouse nearby, so I go to that too to get frozen bits. I go to Aldi when I'm at my partner's house, as that's the closest, and from my experience definitely cheaper than a lot of the other supermarkets.

I've heard ASDA's new essentials range is good- has anyone tried it? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I use asda on line mainly use them as I live on a new estate and they were the only one that delivered to my postcode 

There are others now.keep saying I will do morrisons but they never have any suitable slots 

Aldi is very close about 400 yards but they had refit and everything now in glass cabinets with doors which is hard to get to stuff when in wheelchair and they moved everything round so with my limited sight I can't see anything in the cabinets 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's an interesting point about the accessibility of glass cabinets in supermarkets @janer1967. Is that something you've raised to them as a concern? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Tesco is the one for me and is the one I get everything, it’s right next door to Morrisons too so I occasionally pop in for bits and get bakery items as I think they’re the best for that and both are 1 mile away. My closest shop is Co-op 200 yards away and if I need bits like milk, bread or meat during the week I’ll go there. I think I’m lucky with shop choices as all of the main supermarkets are within a 3 mile radius of me, with the exception of M&S which is 5 miles but if I am going to that area I will pop in for a look as I love their tea meal deals and Jaffa Cakes lol. :)

I don’t like Aldi, Lidl or Asda. Not because I’m being a snob but I find those stores dirty and the staff very unhelpful and some products I have bought in the past have been very poor quality so I avoid altogether now.
  • Siwheels73
    Siwheels73 Scope Member Posts: 746 Pioneering
    Options
    We are lucky in that our local Tesco is less than 500m away, which means we are able to use my wife's mobility scooter to get there very quickly. Also,having a Clubcard means we can get discounts on our shopping. As it's a Tesco Extra, it's one of the bigger choice stores.
  • emancherry33
    emancherry33 Community member Posts: 3,640 Pioneering
    Options
    I end up going to different stores as it can be cheaper in them on different days and times so don't have a favourite store.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Tori_Scope no I haven't said anything just don't go anymore 

They are hardly going to change it all again but it is a shame as lots of people round here in chairs or on scooters but the big glass door fridges and freezers are impossible to deal with from chair 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't have a favourite I don't use tesco anymore because they built an aldi next to it, so I use aldi if I go. Like morrisons for shopping on line as it arrives in bags. Easier 4 me. Plus they now have a 25 minimum spend most have it at 40, so handy if u want a small shop. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Tori_Scope tried a few bits from the Asda essentials range last week and they were ok e.g we buy Yorkshire puds 12 for £1.20 at Tesco's 15 for 50p in the new Asda range and almost as good.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options
    We use the Coop, Tesco’s, Morrison’s, Iceland and M & S, depends on where we are at the time. An eclectic method. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    Options
    I am a tad limited for shopping as I have to go on my mobility scooter. Locally I only have small Tesco's. They are not suitable for my 4 mph mobility scooter and carry limited stock. Occasionally I go a large Tesco that is a 35 minute ride there, and 35 back. I used to like it, but they revamped the store and everything is now behind the dreaded glass doors, so I no longer bother - it is too much of a struggle.

Very local to me is an Argos (truly wondrous staff) and ideal for my scooter. There is a Co-Op, an M&S and an Aldi. They are all small City branches and not suitable for my scooter. A few minutes ride away there is a very good Waitrose with excellent staff and service. Many disabled people use it. For me, Waitrose offers the best value; it has an unfair reputation for being expensive. Like everyone else I have to watch my spondoolies, but I can shop in Waitrose quite economically. About 10 minutes away is an excellent M&S, with a good menswear department and a large food hall. It is very mobility scooter friendly.

I am a big fan of Sainsbury's, but it is a 25 minute ride there, and 25 minutes back. I have been shopping there since 1983. Just along the road from Sainsbury's there is an Iceland, well adapted to my mobility scooter and some of the food is great. But I generally try to shop closer to home, so for me it is Waitrose and a decent branch of M&S in The City.

Sorry to have gone on so long, but I love shopping. For me, it is a social outing. If I had the use of my legs I would shop in all of the shops, all of the time, because they all have their merits. But as they say "needs must" so it is mobility scooter-friendly shops for me.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Thanks all for sharing

@Steve_in_The_City I agree that you can shop economically in Waitrose. Also I don't mind shopping as well. Like you say it's a trip out. We often do 2-3 smaller shops in the week rather than one big one so that we can get out more often (among other reasons). :smiley:
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    Thanks all for sharing

@Steve_in_The_City I agree that you can shop economically in Waitrose. Also I don't mind shopping as well. Like you say it's a trip out. We often do 2-3 smaller shops in the week rather than one big one so that we can get out more often (among other reasons). :smiley:
    @66Mustang When my partner was alive and I was able bodied we went shopping almost every day, whether we needed to or not. As you said, it gets you out more often (among other reasons). Going to the shops gave us something to do, we met old friends in the street for a chat, we would go and have a beer and play cards or games on my tablet and someone would always join us. Occasionally we would go and have lunch. We even knew people on the bus, so shopping was a really sociable experience rather than a daily necessity. It is still sociable for me, although I am limited as to where I can go. But it gets me out of the flat, so that is a reason to be happy! Shopping is like an enjoyable hobby that brings me in to contact with others. I do shop online occasionally, but it is not the same thing. I hope you continue to enjoy your shopping trips! 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We use a local Asda only 5 min drive - i was thinking of changing to morisons 15 min drive because our Asda was getting so bad with not having stock in, but it was better this week, so hopefully just a blip. We don't like the joints of meat from Asda so always go to morisons for those, x
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    Thanks all for sharing

@66Mustang When my partner was alive and I was able bodied we went shopping almost every day, whether we needed to or not. As you said, it gets you out more often (among other reasons). Going to the shops gave us something to do, we met old friends in the street for a chat, we would go and have a beer and play cards or games on my tablet and someone would always join us. Occasionally we would go and have lunch. We even knew people on the bus, so shopping was a really sociable experience rather than a daily necessity. It is still sociable for me, although I am limited as to where I can go. But it gets me out of the flat, so that is a reason to be happy! Shopping is like an enjoyable hobby that brings me in to contact with others. I do shop online occasionally, but it is not the same thing. I hope you continue to enjoy your shopping trips! 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.