Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

I think leaving work would be good for my mental health, but I have accommodation with my job

Options
rightknight
rightknight Community member Posts: 14 Listener
edited October 2022 in Work and employment
Hi all, 
just joined today. I’ve been suffering with my mental health for a while now. I’ve been off work for 3 months and really think leaving would be good for me. The problem is I have accommodation with my job. I have a wife and 3 kids and really don’t know what to do next.
Tagged:

Comments

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It’s really your decision to make. There are benefits you potentially could claim like New-Style ESA, Universal Credit and PIP of course, although it might not do your Mental Health any good just leaving. I would reconsider and think very carefully, do what is best for you. I know you’ve got a family but health comes first.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,506 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @rightknight :) Thank you for joining us! 

I can see why this would be a difficult situation to navigate. As bg844 has said, it's ultimately going to be your decision, but I hope that some members with a similar experience of this will be able to share some insight with you. 

Are you currently receiving any support for your mental health conditions? 

Do you think any changes could be made to your current role to make it more manageable for you? If you haven't already, I'd encourage you to look into reasonable adjustments (Scope) as an option. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • rightknight
    Options
    Thanks bg844. Work is the cause of my mental health problems, if I didn’t have kids this would be an easy decision. I was suicidal 3 months ago and have needed quite intense support to get to where I am. My worry that giving up my job will put us under financial hardship. 
    I’m getting really low about it now. 
  • bg844
    Options
    @rightknight I appreciate that. As Tori has said, see if any adjustments could be made. You can claim NS ESA if you’ve worked and paid the correct NI in the last 2-3 years. Do you already claim any benefits with your partner?
  • rightknight
    Options
    Thanks both, I am in talks with my work and I can’t help but feel like it is the start of the end. I am getting advice on the work side of things. I need to leave but I’m really scared of what happens after that.
    We don’t claim anything at the moment 
  • bg844
    Options
    Use this link to check entitlements taking away your current salary and only using your wife's:
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=43880a3c-07ba-45f2-bc5f-460fa4f7b09d

You could also consider PIP which wouldn’t show on the benefit checker. Please see here:
    https://www.gov.uk/pip
    Just adding, you need 8 points for an award of standard Daily Living and 12 for the enhanced rate, the same goes for the Mobility side of it too.

Please come back when you have used that link I have posted at the top to check what you are entitled to and you’ll be advised further.
  • rightknight
    Options
    Hi bg844, I have checked this and we would be eligible for support. Just need to look at the PIP now.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there

The trouble I can see is that if you leave your job you will lose your accommodation 

Then you could struggle to get somewhere to live 

Are you on the social housing / Council housing register or looked into private rent 

There are massive wait time for social housing and private rent could be difficult if your income I'd just benefits 

How long would you be able to stay in the current place after you resign 

Personally I would stay off sick until you have secured alternative housing 

You may still be entitled to new style esa and pip to top up any wage loss while off sick 

I understand not having stress over your job may help but you will be even more stressed without a roof over your head 
  • bg844
    Options
    @rightknight If you are eligible for UC get fit notes from your GP to be assessed for LCW/LCWRA. When you are going though the application process you’ll be asked about your health conditions and if you have a fit note. You’ll need to get continuous notes until you receive your decision on your capability for work, after 4 weeks you will be sent a UC50 form in the post which you should fill out and post back to the assessment provider with medical evidence that’s relevant to your claim. The waiting times are huge so please bear that in mind. Just adding that fit notes do not turn off work commitments set by the Jobcentre. Depending on your work coach these will either be turned off, reduced or stay the same although they will take in to account your conditions. Appointments continue until you receive a decision.

See the descriptors here for LCW:
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/universal-credit-uc/uc-faq/limited-capability-for-work

You require 15 points for LCW and for a LCWRA award you need to meet the criteria, see that link posted.

• bg844
    Options
    As janer1967 has said, you need to think about the accommodation side of things, thousands of people are waiting on lists. You can of course claim help with housing from Universal Credit but not all landlords accept welfare claimants. 
  • bluefox
    bluefox Community member Posts: 636 Pioneering
    Options
    With housing element, you pay the landlord not them directly, so maybe some landlords won’t even know?
  • bg844
    Options
    @bluefox Whilst you are correct in saying that, the majority of landlords will want details of full income. Very unwise to withhold this information.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Morning @rightknight welcome to our great group, you have some of our great members advising you on this,
    Do you know of any other workers that have had to leave your place of work due to ill health. 
    I ask this because you might be able to find out what happened to them with the problem of rehousing.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 54,459 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there, look at your contract, it will tell you about leaving and how long you have left in the house after.
    Good luck with what you decide
  • rightknight
    Options
    Sorry all for not getting back to you. I’m in a bit of shut down. The cause of my problem is work and that’s become very clear, to go back fills me with dread and is something I’m doing tomorrow. To leave leaves us in a bad place due to housing. I am overwhelmed and trying to keep myself together, I am looking into all opinions with the best being a new job. Easier said than done but I’m trying.

thanks all for the advice. It has really helped me look at options that I didn’t know about.
  • bluefox
    bluefox Community member Posts: 636 Pioneering
    Options
    Will you be returning to work?
  • rightknight
    Options
    I’m back today. I feel so low being here! I just want to burst into tears.
  • bg844
    Options
    @rightknight Always remember health comes first, once you have looked further in to the housing situation make a decision then so at least you’ve got a roof over your head. Remember, there’s always someone on here to help you and there’s also plenty of different discussions (non benefit related) you can get involved in which might help you take your mind off things.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good luck today @rightknight try and plant it in your head that this is only till another option comes along, i know it's hard but try and lift your spirits and as bg844 has said some one will be here if you need an hello.
  • rightknight
    Options
    I have been put on a site that I am not usually based at, I am absolutely broken and don’t know where to turn. I’m on my way to my main place of work now where I have a meeting with the head of HR. I can’t believe how I’m feeling. It is only a few months ago I wanted to take my own life. Since then I have built myself up and am actually in a really good place. To feel like this again and so quickly is horrific. 

I sound really dramatic but I just want to disappear.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.