I'm a new ESA applicant. Can they send the work capability form even if I'm not getting paid yet? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm a new ESA applicant. Can they send the work capability form even if I'm not getting paid yet?

Options
Feefa12
Feefa12 Community member Posts: 18 Listener
I'm a new esa applicant. My phone interview went ok and have received paperwork saying I'll get contribution based esa, backed to July which is when my employer stopped ssp. But not received anything yet so just contacted the job centre who have raised a call back for me.

Then (today) I got the big capability for work form. Can they send it even if I'm not getting paid at the moment?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,601 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, they very often send it very quickly. Not such a bad thing, though i realise it's stressful filling it out. You do need to make sure you return it for them to receive by the date in the letter.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Feefa12 :) I can imagine it'd be quite anxiety inducing to get a big form to complete unexpectedly! How are you feeling about completing it? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Feefa12
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Thanks poppy123456 and Tori_Scope. I'm also a cat lover, in fact Feefa was a nickname for our elderly cat, Cleo, became Feeo, Feeo became Feefa....got 2 boys now. She absolutely hated them...if I had the time back, I'd have continued to pamper her and not got the boy cats (and saved £££ on food and insurance) but it was meant to be this way and I saved 3 cats from abuse. That's how I see it now.

Re the form, it's daunting so will put a day aside to do it properly. I had thought I would be paid the contribution esa, while they decided on what 'group' I was to be in. Is that how it works?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes, you will be paid £77/week. The assessment process can take several months, possibly longer. If placed into the WRAG your money stops after 1 year. If placed into the Support Group your money will increase to £117.60/week paid from week 14 of your claim. (if it takes longer they will owe you money from that week)
    If found fit for work your money stops. It would be worth you having a look at the descriptors for the Support Group to see if any apply https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance/esa-glossary/support-group-descriptors

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Feefa12
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I went onto the Citizens Advice website which said the following

If your claim is accepted, at some point in the next few months the DWP might ask you to complete a form called the ‘capability for work questionnaire’ or ‘ESA50’. You’ll need to complete this to keep getting ESA – check how to complete the ESA50 form.

If the DWP accepts your ESA claim, you’ll usually get your first ESA payment a few weeks after you apply. You can check how much ESA you’ll get.

The DWP will usually pay up to 3 months ESA to cover time when you had limited capability for work before you applied. This is called 'backdating'.

I put the claim in 3 weeks ago, to be backdated to July. My claim has been accepted. I thought everyone was put on the £77 until it was decided which group the applicant was to be in. Citizens Advice also confirm that. If they say you MIGHT get the ESA50 in a few MONTHS, I'm wondering why they sent me one so soon? It's stressing me out. Amongst the health conditions I have, I had a head injury and concussion. Since then, if anything, even the slightest, stresses me out, my bp goes sky high even though I'm on meds and then get awful headaches. Since the head injury, my body is over-reacting to the even the simplest of agitation e.g. if our cats start fighting or I misplace something. This never happened before my head injury.  

There's a problem with the £77 payment. I've not received any and when I asked why this was, I was told it was due to 'system payment renewal due', what that means, I don't know.

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Feefa12 said:
    Then (today) I got the big capability for work form. Can they send it even if I'm not getting paid at the moment?
    They would still sent the form even if you were not entitled to be paid anything because you would still be assessed to see if you are entitled to NI credits for having limited capability for work.
    Feefa12 said:
    Re the form, it's daunting so will put a day aside to do it properly. I had thought I would be paid the contribution esa, while they decided on what 'group' I was to be in. Is that how it works?
    You should be paid the assessment rate of £77/week. 
    Don't try and do the form in one go. Fill out the simple factual bits - it gives you a boost because you know you've made a start. Read the questions and think about what you want to say.
    If it's convenient you can type your answers on a computer and print them out and then attached them to the form and just write see attached notes on the form. 
    Some guidance here
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/help-with-your-esa-claim/fill-in-form-esa/
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Feefa12 said:

If your claim is accepted, at some point in the next few months the DWP might ask you to complete a form called the ‘capability for work questionnaire’ or ‘ESA50’. You’ll need to complete this to keep getting ESA – check how to complete the ESA50 form.

Yes but as i advised, it's not usual for them to send it as soon as you claim.
    Feefa12 said:

The DWP will usually pay up to 3 months ESA to cover time when you had limited capability for work before you applied. This is called 'backdating'.

As i advised in my above comment, if you're entitled to payments then you will receive £77/week ( if over 25) until a decision is made on your work capability assessment but this can take several months.

• calcotti
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Feefa12 said:
    I thought everyone was put on the £77 until it was decided which group the applicant was to be in. 
    They have to check your NI record before they start the payments. That can mean there is a delay before payments start.
    Feefa12 said:
     I've not received any and when I asked why this was, I was told it was due to 'system payment renewal due', what that means, I don't know.
    I've no idea what that means either.
    Feefa12 said:

If your claim is accepted, at some point in the next few months the DWP might ask you to complete a form called the ‘capability for work questionnaire’ or ‘ESA50’.

... If they say you MIGHT get the ESA50 in a few MONTHS, I'm wondering why they sent me one so soon? 
    I think the advice that you might be sent a form is, in my opinion incorrect. You should be sent the ESA50 - the only exception be if you are terminally ill as evidenced by a different form.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Feefa12
    edited October 2022
    Options
    poppy123456 Yes but as i advised, it's not usual for them to send it as soon as you claim.

Why would they have sent the form out before paying me? I sent them copies of my mri reports as well as my sicklines. It's not as if I can't prove my illnesses. It's the fact that they sent the form out so soon and say they'll pay me but haven't, saying there's a 'glitch', that's getting my back up...which is then aggravating my headaches and arthriis etc.

The letter they sent saying my application was accepted (£77), said that my NI contributions would continue to be paid. That's before filling out the esa50.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Feefa12 said:
    poppy123456 Yes but as i advised, it's not usual for them to send it as soon as you claim.

That's incorrect, It's perfectly normal for them to send you the form at the start of your claim, as i advised a few times.
    Feefa12 said:

Why would they have sent the form out before paying me? I sent them copies of my mri reports as well as my sicklines.

They still send the form, even if you're not entitled to the payments because your NI credits can be paid if found to have LCW.
    MRI reports aren't needed until you're ready to return the ESA50 form.
  • calcotti
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Feefa12 said:
    Why would they have sent the form out before paying me?
    As I advised, the form would be sent regardless of whether or not you are entitled to be paid. The form should be sent as soon as you apply.
    Feefa12 said:
    The letter they sent saying my application was accepted (£77), said that my NI contributions would continue to be paid. That's before filling out the esa50.
    Yes the NI will be paid because while your claim is being processed you are assumed to have Limited Capability for Work.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.