New Style ESA - waiting times — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New Style ESA - waiting times

Options
userinfo1
userinfo1 Community member Posts: 34 Connected
I am on New Style ESA Contribution based and still awaiting for assessment.

Both the hospital and my GP are getting very annoyed being asked to send in "fit note" after "fit note". They have said its "lifelong". So much so a worded letter is being put together to the DWP to say this is ridiculous. Hoping to get this letter in the next day or so to put with my next "fit note" to send it in as a complaint!

It is now 21 weeks since I put my claim in on 9th May 2022. I understand that I should have assessed before week 13 on ESA but due the huge backlog have not.

Should I be pushing them for answers on this or just have to keep sending the "fit notes" in. Surely by now I should have had word if I am going into the Support Group or not. If not I will be fighting that decision given my disability and wont let that rest. Does anyone have any ideas of the length of time these assessments are taking for ESA?

I had delays after delays with PIP but that has been sorted and been given the full award and backdated.

I am now also battling the Cost of Living Payment that they haven't paid yet this is all I need.  I have filled in the link on this as I did get payment for the week commencing 23rd May but backdated

I am only concerned now as the weeks are just passing by without answers. I understand you can get ESA Contribution Based going forward on the provision you have been put in the support group. Otherwise if put into WRAG or not assessed its only 1 year.

I am really at my whit's end with the DWP and what I should do?

All I want is all the nonsense to stop and for me to get the treatments I am getting without all this nonsense of worry with money and know what I should be getting is getting paid.

What would you do on this? Just wait and see? Get my consultant and GP to send them a worded letter? 

I have filled in the link about the missing COL Payment but I don't need this carry on with the ESA.

Is 21 weeks usual now to wait? How long is the current wait time?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,604 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There are huge backlogs and it's been like this since the middle of the pandemic. It's not unusal to be waiting several months for an assessment.
    You'll be better off contacting Health Assessment Advisory Service because these deal with work capability assessments, not DWP.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • userinfo1
    userinfo1 Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    Options
    Poppy what you do yourself? I just personally don't know what is best.

Some days I keep saying just wait until they get back to me then days saying I should be screaming at them down on the phone.

Are things still seriously bad?  The money I am coping with but is just niggling at me in my head that it is not sorted.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You will not be put in the Support Group until an assessment has been.
    Regarding Fit Notes, can the hospital not simply give you a longer Fit Note?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,604 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't think a letter from your GP/Consultant will help. I know the backlogs are annoying but it's no ones fault. 21 weeks isn't long, some are waiting much longer.
    You can contact the health assessment providers yourself and ask if there's any appointments available.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.