Anxiety about stopping esa and being worse off — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anxiety about stopping esa and being worse off

Options
Jenny92
Jenny92 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi all! 

At the beginning of the year i started permitted work under income related esa. I applied for access to work and have most of the recommendations and sorting out transport. I also accepted the offer of mental health support through Remploy (now known as Maximus). 
It has gone well and I am about to progress into a mostly remote role that is 21 hours, while hopefully keeping the causal role. I average around 7 hours a month in that role. The support from my coordinator has been amazing and I am so grateful for her support and encouragement. 
Both roles are contracted till March/April 2023. I am waiting on the start date for the new role, and I am excited but nervous. Obviously if my contract is not extended, I will have to look for a new job but finding ones that can accommodate my needs and hours are few and far between. The thought of instability makes me feel sick. 

I live with my mum who is receiving ESA, PIP and housing benefit. I have been on ESA since 2010 and I never thought I’d be in the position to return to work. The pay is around £200 more than my benefit. 
I’ve had a few people tell me they think it’s a bad idea me returning to work and why would I give up my benefit. One of my siblings won’t stop asking me if this will affect my mums income. I told him I’ve looked into it and I can’t see it affecting her apart from they may not award her discretionary housing payment. What ever the outcome is, I’ll somehow find a way to cope but the anxiety seems to be increasing the closer I get to coming off benefit. Am I making the wrong decision? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,619 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Before you start working 16 hours or more per week, have you checked entitlement to Universal Credit? If you claim UC before your ESA stops and you're in the Support Group then you'll be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of your claim.
    You will also have the work allowance of £573/month (assuming you're not claiming for help with any rent) This means you can receive that amount of earnings before the 55% deductions apply.
    If your mum's PIP includes the daily living part then she will have no non dependant deductions from her housing benefit. The DHP is only awarded for a short period of time before she'll need to reapply anyway so can't advise whether that would continue.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    To add to what poppy has said. If you were on UC there is no earnings limit and could keep the extra money for LCWRA even if earning 16 hours plus and/or more than £152/week.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.