Fatigue, Sleep and Napping — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fatigue, Sleep and Napping

AlejandraTR17
AlejandraTR17 Community member Posts: 9 Connected
edited November 2022 in Cerebral palsy
The more I read about CP and fatigue, the more I realize it's "normal" for us to need more than 8 hours of sleep. I'm less concerned about the amount of sleep I seem to need -- sometimes I can go for 10 hours. I would love to hear from other people. How many hours do you need to feel well-rested? How much do you need to nap? How do you manage your fatigue? I have Spastic Diplegia and don't use mobility aids on a daily basis.
Tagged:

Comments

• Alex_Scope
    Alex_Scope Posts: 7,562 Scope online community team
    Hello there @AlejandraTR17 and thanks for your question, it's a good one :) 

As someone who also has spastic diplegia, I can say that a majority of the time I struggle to feel really well-rested, as I often cannot sleep without waking up at least once overnight.

I would say that I probably need 8-10 hours, and that I'd usually take half an hour for a nap. But I think I probably don't allow myself to get enough rest.

Managing my fatigue is a challenge but on days when I'm working (like today), I leave household tasks for my partner and focus on resting either side of work, so that I have more energy on my days off for getting into town, or cooking and cleaning. 

I do use my wheelchair anytime I need to go out as well. Sometimes I find my body just says no, which leaves me out of action, but listening to your body is very important, and key to managing fatigue!

I'd be interested to hear how other members with CP feel about the connections between sleep, fatigue and napping.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.