Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

I've been told that my sister and children have 15q 11.2 microdeletion. Do I need to get a test?

Options
Amanda_Jayne
Amanda_Jayne Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello, I have just been told that my sister and children have 15q 11.2 microdeletion.  Do I need to get a test ?

Comments

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello, I have just been told that my sister and children have 15q 11.2 microdeletion.  Do I need to get a test ?
    I would suggest that you discuss the matter with your GP.

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello there @Amanda_Jayne and welcome to the community, thanks for reaching out today :)

As ShirleyW has mentioned, it's always advisable to discuss these sorts of concerns with your GP, as it's unfortunately not something we have the expertise to help with here on the forum.  

Just so that I understand fully, do you mean your own children, or your sister's children? And can I ask who let you know about the diagnosis? 

You are welcome to share your thoughts here of course, and you might like to visit our rare, invisible and undiagnosed conditions category or search for 'microdeletion' using the magnifying glass button, to see if any other members have experienced something similar.

Let us know if we can help with anything further, and we'll do what we can to help out.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Amanda_Jayne
    Amanda_Jayne Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Alex_Scope 
    My sister has it and so do her children.  My sister was told by the doctor to let me know. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for explaining @Amanda_Jayne that's really helpful :) I'm glad your sister has been able to let you know. 

Have you managed to have a chat with the doctor about it all? 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,696 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't think you need to get a test if you don't want to, it's your choice. 

It is something that could be useful to know, especially if you have any health conditions that could have been caused by it.  It's also something that could affect your own children if you have any or intend to in future.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this with us @OverlyAnxious. I am sure your response will be really insightful and helpful.

How are you at the moment? I hope you are well but please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything to help  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.