Wheelchair for Chronic Pain — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wheelchair for Chronic Pain

Options
JessB
JessB Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.
I got diagnosed in 2014 with Chrondomalicia Patella, I had physio at the time but got discharged due to lack of progress. Fast forward to 2021 and after having many more flare-ups and my pain getting to the point I couldn't manage it I decided to go back to the GP. At this point, I was using crutches full-time. The GP I went to was new as I had moved to a new area for university. This GP went on to tell me I no longer have the condition (after a phone consult) and that I no longer needed to use crutches. They moved me to the physio anyway but said I would be fine. Seeing the physio this time round they told me there was nothing they could do until I had my pain under control but the GP refused to help. During the time I was waiting for Physio I self brought a wheelchair as it was getting to the point where I couldn't manage day to day. This wheelchair all be it big and bulky opened so many doors but it is now getting to the point where this wheelchair is causing me pain. The way I sit in it is causing my back pain and numbness in my legs but I don't want to stop using it because I know without it I wont be able to cope. Has anyone been able to get a wheelchair through Wheelchair Services for chronic pain?
Jess
They/Them

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there @JessB and thanks for your query, I'm sorry to hear your GP isn't very supportive, that must be frustrating. 

Does your county have it's own wheelchair services? If so, see if you can enquire with them about what might be possible.

I know there's usually a referral involved, but whether this needs to be from your GP, or can be from another health professional, I'm not sure.

Have you mentioned what's happened to your physio, if you're still having physio at the moment?
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • anthy
    anthy Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Hello
    I needed a wheelchair and i phone my council and ask for the OT team to come and access me they did and they got me a wheelchair since then as i can't use my arms to wheel me around and my Husband can't push me due to his health i brought myself an electric one best thing ive ever done and i got it for around £800 which isn't a bad price
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @JessB

I can see Alex and anthy have already responded with some great advice, I just wanted to check in and see how you were? 

I also wanted to share the NHS page on Walking aids, wheelchairs and mobility scooters with you. There are a few ways from borrowing to buying as well as a section on choosing a wheelchair and help with costs.
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

I have had wheelchair from wheelchair services not for pain but the chairs are very basic that they supply in my experience 

I'm a full time chair user and purchased my own manual and electric chair due to the red tape and going through hoops with wheelchair services 

They have strict criteria for type of chair they supply but don't let my experience put you off 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.