Does my pensioner neighbour qualify for the 326 cost of living payment? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does my pensioner neighbour qualify for the 326 cost of living payment?

Options
pee14
pee14 Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
Hi my neighbour has been getting state pension since the 28th April 2021,DWP say he's not entitled to it because of the qualifying dates of 26th April to 25th May 2022, hes baffled because on those dates he was and still is getting his state pension on these dates ,if DWP are right could anyone explain this for him please?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No, state pension doesn't entitled them to either payment of £326 and £324.
    They need to be claiming Pension credit and recieved a payment or later became entitled to a payment for the period 26th April to 25th May.
    If they are not claiming Pension credit they won't be entitled to either payments.

Income-based JSA, income-based ESA, Income Support and Pension Credit

You were eligible for the first Cost of Living Payment of £326 if you were entitled to a payment (or later found to be entitled to a payment) of income-based JSA, income-related ESA, Income Support or Pension Credit for any day in the period 26 April 2022 to 25 May 2022.

You will be eligible for the second Cost of Living Payment of £324 if you were entitled to a payment (or later found to be entitled to a payment) of income-based JSA, income-related ESA, Income Support or Pension Credit for any day in the period 26 August 2022 to 25 September 2022.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pee14
    Options
    @poppy123456
    Thankyou for that poppy , he said he's getting pstate pension credits from that date ,iv asked him to show me letter stating that ,il get back to you if needed.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You said "state pension credits" that doesn't make sense. He's either claiming just State Pension or he's claiming both State Pension and Pension Credit.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • pee14
    Options
    @poppy123456 sorry poppy yes he says he gets both ,so while he's looking for letter bless him, il just tell you that his son lives with him with no income ,if it turns out he doesn't get the credits part would this be because his son lives with him ?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    pee14 said:
    @poppy123456 sorry poppy yes he says he gets both ,so while he's looking for letter bless him, il just tell you that his son lives with him with no income ,if it turns out he doesn't get the credits part would this be because his son lives with him ?
    No. Whether or not he gets Pension Credit in addition to State Pension depends on how much his State Pension is worth.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • pee14
    edited October 2022
    Options
    @poppy123456
    Hi poppy yes he gets 182.60 he said its just gone up ,if that helps.he said he didn't get the guarantee because his son lives with him .
  • calcotti
    Options
    pee14 said:
    @poppy123456
    Hi poppy yes he gets 182.60 he said its just gone up ,if that helps.he said he didn't get the guarantee because his son lives with him .
    Having his son living with him would not prevent him getting Pension Credit. You need to look at exactly what his letters say. Don’t know why his amount has ‘just’ gone up. If he has been getting £182.60 since April that does suggest that there may be some Pension Credit.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • pee14
    Options
    He gets 185.15 per week he's just shown me his mini statement @poppy123456
  • pee14
    Options
    calcotti said:
    pee14 said:
    No. Whether or not he gets Pension Credit in addition to State Pension depends on how much his State Pension is worth.
    Thankyou for that information 
  • calcotti
    edited October 2022
    Options
    pee14 said:
    He gets 185.15 per week he's just shown me his mini statement
    That is the standard State Pension amount and no Pension Credit is being paid and therefore he is not eligible for CoL.

He may have been told that he is not entitled to PC because his son lives with him because if your neighbour receives a disability benefit and was living alone and no one was claiming Carers Allowance or the carer element for looking after him he would have a higher PC entitlement and would then be receiving some PC.
  • pee14
    Options
    @calcotti
    Oh so he doesn't get the credit part? I'm confused because he's got a letter dating , 2021 he's entitled to the credits part of his pension , iv just seen the letter ,so looks like he hasn't been getting it then .
  • calcotti
    Options
    Pension Credit would top up his income to £182.60 as the standard entitlement. If he is getting State pension of £185.15 then no Pension Credit is payable. As per my previous post, there are circumstances in which the PC entitlement could be higher in which case PC could be paid.

It’s very hard to comment without full information. What does the letter you have just referred to say exactly?

Does your neighbour get a disability benefit?

Has the son, who I take to be an adult, recently moved in?

Does anybody else lives with them?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Does he care for anyone claiming a disability benefit and has an underlying entitlement to Carers allowance? This would increase his weekly income so there maybe some entitlement to Pension Credit. 
    Very difficult to advise without all the information.
  • pee14
    Options
    @poppy123456 @calcotti
    So he lives with his son his son has no income, pensioner claims pip , in 2021 he had to prove his savings it was 5000 pound, he got a letter saying his pension will be topped up because is pension or income was low , hope this helps
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2022
    Options
    That still makes no sense because savings of less than £10,000 for those of state pension age are disregarded.
    Im wondering if he’s claiming Severe disability premium which increases entitlement to Pension Credit but he’s not entitled to SDP because his son lives with him, which means he needs to ring Pension Credit and tell them his son lives with him. 
    When did his son start living with him? You said the letter was dated 2021. 

• pee14
    Options
    @poppy123456 @calcotti
    He also went for some dental treatment in August and he got a letter saying he has to prove his pension credit / guarantee or he'll be charged.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    We can only give advice based on the information you give. Based on that information he’s not entitled to Pension Credit so no entitlement to CoL payment, or free dental treatment. 
  • calcotti
    Options
    As an aside why isn’t the son claiming anything? Am I correct that he is an adult.

if the son was not living with your neighbour, he would be entitled to a Severe Disability Premium in the Pension Credit calculation and would then be entitled to Pension Credit. In those circumstances it is true that he is bein* prevented from getting Pension Credit because his son lives with him.

can you please provide details of the letter you referred to earlier
    pee14 said:
    .. he's got a letter dating , 2021 he's entitled to the credits part of his pension , iv just seen the letter 

• pee14
    Options
    That still makes no sense because savings of less than £10,000 for those of state pension age are disregarded.
    Im wondering if he’s claiming Severe disability premium which increases entitlement to Pension Credit but he’s not entitled to SDP because his son lives with him, which means he needs to ring Pension Credit and tell them his son lives with him. 

Yes they know he's living that's why he couldn't claim the support, so the letter saying he's been topped up is a mystery,  can he email them ? Do you have a link? He's no good phone, also what about his prescriptions will he have to pay for them ? 
  • pee14
    Options
    pee14 said:

Yes they know he's living that's why he couldn't claim the support, so the letter saying he's been topped up is a mystery,  can he email them ? Do you have a link? He's no good phone, also what about his prescriptions will he have to pay for them ? Sorry, they know his son his with him that's why he couldn't claim the SDP

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.