Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Does my pensioner neighbour qualify for the 326 cost of living payment?

Options
2»

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Everybody over 60 in England gets free prescriptions (in Scotland and Wales they are free regardless of age). For dental treatment he has to pay unless getting Pension Credit.

it would help if you could provide details the letter.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • pee14
    pee14 Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
    Options
    @poppy123456 @calcotti
    Great thankyou both for your help here.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,313 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options
    pee14 said:
    pee14 said:
    That still makes no sense because savings of less than £10,000 for those of state pension age are disregarded.
    Im wondering if he’s claiming Severe disability premium which increases entitlement to Pension Credit but he’s not entitled to SDP because his son lives with him, which means he needs to ring Pension Credit and tell them his son lives with him. 
    When did his son start living with him? You said the letter was dated 2021. 

Yes they know he's living that's why he couldn't claim the support, so the letter saying he's been topped up is a mystery,  can he email them ? Do you have a link? He's no good phone, also what about his prescriptions will he have to pay for them ? Sorry, they know his son his with him that's why he couldn't claim the SDP

Then he's not claiming Pension Credit.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,313 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    For free dental treatment he can apply for the NHS low Income Scheme by filling out the HC2 form. https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-low-income-scheme

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    For free dental treatment he can apply for the NHS low Income Scheme by filling out the HC2 form. https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-low-income-scheme
    Good point. Thanks for adding.

He should also be claiming Council Tax Reduction (and if renting Housing Benefit).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • pee14
    Options
    @poppy123456
    Great information thankyou Poppy 
  • pee14
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Good point. Thanks for adding.

He should also be claiming Council Tax Reduction (and if renting Housing Benefit).
    @calcotti
    Yes he gets council tax reduction and also housing benefit .Thankyou.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @pee14. It is the very least you deserve.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything else to help. We are all here for you and listening to you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.