Unable to get a doctors appointment to discuss my mental health. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Unable to get a doctors appointment to discuss my mental health.

Options
dantelloyd
dantelloyd Community member Posts: 23 Connected
I have been struggling with my mental wellbeing for a while now, I am on anti-depressants but my problems seem to be worsening. When I try to make an appointment to see a GP, I am told that there are no slots left and I should try again tomorrow. I am expected to be able to make the appointment first thing in the morning. The only problem is that I am suffering from sleep issues that lead me to not being able to be functioning at that time of day.

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's something I've been able to relate to at times in the past too @dantelloyd. It's frustrating when the best time to ring is in the morning when you're experiencing sleep problems. 

Does your GP have any other ways you can book an appointment, such as through an online service?

Do you have a family member or friend who could contact your GP on your behalf?

If you live in England, you could also try referring yourself for mental health support through the IAPT service.
    I am on anti-depressants but my problems seem to be worsening
    Do you feel comfortable telling us a bit about what your problems worsening means to you?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • dantelloyd
    Options

Does your GP have any other ways you can book an appointment, such as through an online service?

The mad thing is that they do, it is their only point of access outside of emergencies and if you don't access it in the morning, they don't let you make an appointment as the slots are all taken later on in the day.

• Tori_Scope
    Options
    Ahh I see what you mean @dantelloyd. That sounds really annoying!

Would someone else be allowed to make the appointment for you?

Or you could try contacting them a different way, as teddybear12 has said. 

• dantelloyd
    Options
    I will try to speak to them tomorrow, however, I'm not sure how much it would help. You know what they say, Receptionists think they are the bouncers of the NHS. :P
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Have you had any luck getting through today @dantelloyd

• mshugz
    mshugz Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    edited October 2022
    Options
    @dantelloyd I suffer with mental health I have bipolar (currently suffering a low episode) if I go on I apologise. 

I would contact your gp surgery when you get up and briefly explain to your receptionist what you are calling for and ask for an emergency appointment with the mental health team or gp. 

Normally if you tell them you are at crisis they are better at getting you seen. 

You can also self refer to the mental health crisis team if you believe you are at a point that you need to been extremely quickly. 

How are you feeling today? 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.