Lost what to do? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lost what to do?

Options
stevie66
stevie66 Community member Posts: 35 Courageous
Hi all, unfortunately my wife has just had an accident braking her back loosing the use of everything waste down.
We don't live together but are still a couple.
She is in hospital looking at several month in Salisbury rehab hospital but they are not expecting her ever to walk again.
She has a council studio flat first floor that is unsuitable for her now to live in.
What should I be doing reguarding accommodation or can I expect the council to help,
Can anyone advise anything from experience of a simular experience.
Thanks 
Steve.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I'm sorry to hear about your wife 

You need to get a oh report from the hospital or local council social services you can self refer for care needs assessment on gov website 

They will assess her home and any adaptions or aids she needs and make recommendations on type property needed 

This report then goes to housing dept which will allow you to bid for suitable properties 

I would also contact housing to inform them of the situation 

Do this ASAP as it can take a long time to get suitable accommodation 

The hospital should advise as they won't let her leave hospital till she has suitable living arrangement 
  • Luchia
    Luchia Community member Posts: 282 Pioneering
    Options
    Good Morning Steve

I’m very sorry to hear about your partners accident, I do hope she’s able to recover.

As above has said you need to get in touch with OT and your local council should have an accessible homes team who will come out and do an assessment for her, They will try to adapt her current accommodation to make it suitable for her but if that’s not possible they will issue an appropriate banding so she is able to bid on suitable accommodation, I have just gone through something similar with my current home no longer been suitable and was able to get a Bungalow, it took 14 weeks in total but this varies heavily on area and banding but going by the situation you have described I would imagine she would be a Band B Medical(Don’t take that as fact as it’s only a speculation), ring them immediately and get the ball rolling though as they do have a bit of a wait time.

please do keep us posted on how everything goes, everyone here is super nice and supportive so your definitely in the right place.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @stevie66 :) I also wanted to share that I'm sorry to hear about your wife's accident. I'm sure that must be very difficult for you both to cope with. Are you both receiving enough support to help you navigate your way through this challenging time? 

I'd also echo the advice that she should request a needs assessment. You can read more about what that is, and how you can request one, on the NHS website.

You may also find it helpful to get in touch with the charities Back Up and Aspire.

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 567 Pioneering
    Options
    I too am sorry to hear about your wife and her accommodation difficulties. It is possible that she could be prioritised for ground floor accommodation is a disabled persons flat. That is how I managed to relocate without being placed in the councils bidding/points system. (I was in the system with only a small number of points, but the prioritisation meant I took precedence over people with many more points than I had). Your local council will know if this is possible.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experiences with us @Steve_in_The_City. I am sure your experiences will be invaluable to people experiencing similar things.

It sounds positive that you managed to relocate without being placed in the council's bidding/points system. How are you finding things at the moment?

We are here for you and listening to you if you would like to share more with us. Take care for now and we will look forward to hopefully hearing from you again soon  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @stevie66. Thanks for finding the courage to reach out to us. It can take a lot of courage to reach out, especially when things are so tough.

I can see your thread has already received responses. I just wanted to ask you if you would like to share more with us about how you are managing at the moment.

This sounds like a particularly difficult time for you. Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything to support you. 

We are all here for you and listening to you. You don't have to face this, or anything else, alone if you don't want to  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 567 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @L_Volunteer Thank you for asking; all is fine. I have been here almost 6 months, the flat is more or less finished, I am getting to know the neighbours, so all is good!
  • stevie66
    stevie66 Community member Posts: 35 Courageous
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I'm sorry to hear about your wife 

You need to get a oh report from the hospital or local council social services you can self refer for care needs assessment on gov website 

They will assess her home and any adaptions or aids she needs and make recommendations on type property needed 

This report then goes to housing dept which will allow you to bid for suitable properties 

I would also contact housing to inform them of the situation 

Do this ASAP as it can take a long time to get suitable accommodation 

The hospital should advise as they won't let her leave hospital till she has suitable living arrangement 
    Thanks @janer1967

I will look into this ho report.
    Wife is being pragmatic about everything I'm very proud of her bravery considering her situation, I feel very helpless currently so compensate by visiting as often as work and travel allows but it is wearing me out as driving there and back is taking its toll on my finances and own disabilities.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Do you have any friends, families, neighbours, or colleagues who could help out with taking you there and back @stevie66? I know it's not always a possibility, but I'd encourage you to lean on those around you for support where you can :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.