Hi, my name is jones84! ESA Help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is jones84! ESA Help

Options
jones84
jones84 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi I had my last ESA payments today. I’m on PIP and have been for over 12 months. I have completed how my disability affects me form about 7 months ago. I have still not had an assessment to be put into any group. I called ESA who have requested an urgent health assessment 2 weeks ago but I haven’t heard back, or had an appointment as of yet. My question is because I’m in receipt of PIP should I be automatically put into the support group? We also clam universal credit so im theory I’m not losing anything. However, I’m assuming I’ll be allocated a work coach now? Im not sure what to do next? Any help would be great. We have this month started claiming the care element on universal credit and that has been backdated for 16 months so I’m not sure if this makes any difference either. 
Many thanks 😊 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,765 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Claiming PIP doesn't automatically place you into the Support Group. As you correctly stated, your ESA ending doesn't make you financially worse off because the ESA is deducted in full from your UC anyway.
    There are huge backlogs for work capability assessments and it's not unusual to be waiting this long for an assessment.
    Have you also reported your health condition for UC and sent in fit notes to support this?
    The carers element has nothing to do with the work capability assessment either. This is included in your maximum UC entitlement because you're claiming UC with a partner that cares for you for at least 35 hours per week and they're entitled to this because your PIP includes the daily living part.
    You can contact the Health Assessment Advisory Service yourself and they maybe able to tell you how long you'll be waiting for an appointment. The number is 0800 288 8777 or you can email them. See link for details. https://chdauk.co.uk/about-us/contact-us/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jones84
    jones84 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thanks poppy. I’d read online that because I had not been put into any group with the 12 month that the ESA should continue. However, also read and was told, no it ends after 365 days. So I wanted to confirm which one was correct. Thanks for your help 😊
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,765 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you're placed into the Support Group your ESA continues for as long as you remain entitled to it. It stops after 1 year otherwise. You can see the descriptors for LCWRA/Support Group here https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/universal-credit-uc/uc-faq/limited-capability-for-work-related-activity
    You didn't answer this question.

Have you also reported your health condition for UC and sent in fit notes to support this?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.