If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Activity 11 1b 'overwhelming psychological distress'

Options
Jonnyc
Jonnyc Community member Posts: 50 Courageous
edited November 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Does anyone know how the word 'overwhelming' is defined by DWP ?  Is it simply the dictionary definition 'very great' or does it have another specific meaning when it comes to PIP?  Also, are emotional states - like anxiety -considered under this descriptor or only diagnosed conditions like agoraphobia ?

Thank you

Tagged:

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria#definitions 
    Psychological distress = Psychological distress related to an enduring mental health condition or an intellectual or cognitive impairment.

OPD means distress related to a mental health condition or intellectual or cognitive impairment resulting in a severe anxiety state in which the symptoms are so severe that the person cannot undertake a journey without being overwhelmed. The threshold is a very high one - a claimant who, without prompting, would be left feeling anxious, worried or emotional does not meet it. OPD may occur in conditions such as generalised anxiety disorder, panic disorder, dementia or agoraphobia.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,129 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    PIP hasn't nothing to do with a diagnosis. Overwhelming means to a great extreme. Whether you would score here will depend on how extreme your anxiety is. You also need at least 8 points for an award so activity 11b would score 4 points so that in itself won't get you a mobility award.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,675 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Just for some real world input, myself and a few other agoraphobics I know (through the internet, obviously  :D ) couldn't meet the OPD descriptor.  It really is a very high threshold as stated in Calcotti's quote.
  • JonnycJonny
    JonnycJonny Scope Member Posts: 127 Courageous
    Options
    I have a physical mobility issue - compounded by an anxiety disorder. Descriptor 1b seems to match my need for encouragement to go out
    My anxiety is extreme - just needed to know how they judge extreme. The government guideline does give the name of conditions - dementia, agoraphobia - which appears to contradict what you say by a diagnosis not being important.

Thank you for your input
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I have a physical mobility issue - compounded by an anxiety disorder. Descriptor 1b seems to match my need for encouragement to go out

Not being able to walk due to mental health issues will not score you any points in the moving around part of mobility.

Activity 12 – moving around

This activity considers a claimant’s physical ability to move around without severe discomfort, such as breathlessness, pain or fatigue. This includes the ability to stand and then move up to 20 metres, up to 50 metres, up to 200 metres and over 200 metres.

As i advised 11b is only 4 points so no mobility would be awarded if you did score points here.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • JonnycJonny
    Options
    I thought the Mobility element had 2 parts Activity 1 and Activity 2 am I wrong ?
  • JonnycJonny
    Options
     The activities:

To get the mobility component of PIP, you must have a physical or mental condition that limits your ability to carry out some or all of these activities: planning and following journeys. moving around
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I thought the Mobility element had 2 parts Activity 1 and Activity 2 am I wrong ?
    Yes that’s correct. The one is following and planning a journey which applies to mental health, cognitive and sensory impairments. 
    Moving around applies to physical conditions and your ability to move around without pain, discomfort, fatigue and/or breathlessness. Not being able to move because of anxiety reasons will not score you any points for this part of mobility. 
    You are asking questions about activity 11b following and planning a journey. If you scored points here, it’s 4 points which isn’t enough for a mobility award because you need at least 8 points.
  • JonnycJonny
    Options
    Can I score points under both activities - for anxiety in Following a route and for my physical disability under Moving Around ? Your answer is confusing.
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Can I score points under both activities - for anxiety in Following a route and for my physical disability under Moving Around ? Your answer is confusing.
    You could score points for both if you also have a physical condition that causes you pain, discomfort,fatigue and/or breathlessness when you walk, as well as mental health conditions.
    In a previous comment here you said.
    I have a physical mobility issue - compounded by an anxiety disorder.
    If your anxiety prevents you from moving (walking) then this isn't considered under the moving around part.

• Jonnyc
    Jonnyc Community member Posts: 50 Courageous
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Without going into detail I have debilitating pain when walking with my stick (I must be aided) which limits the distance I can walk in one go and I need encouraging to go out. On the strength of these hoping I should get some points.

• poppy123456
    Options
    I'm confused here. I see someone with a different username has also commented on the thread. Are you the same person but using 2 different usernames? @Jonnyc @JonnycJonny
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The government guideline does give the name of conditions - dementia, agoraphobia - which appears to contradict what you say by a diagnosis not being important.
    They are giving examples of conditions which may result in OPD. Having those conditions doesn’t mean that you have OPD, nor does it mean that not having those conditions means that you can’t have OPD.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • mshugz
    mshugz Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    edited October 2022
    Options
    @JonnycJonny

I have no had my decision yet but I know from my report which she ticked. 

I have bipolar, I was heavily medicated until my daughter, Florence was born on the 5th May she passed away on the 6th. 
    I decided I wanted to feel emotion again my medication has always made it so I am emotionally detached which always worked well. 
    I have a good job and it just worked with my life until I had and loss Flo. 

I spent a week with her unmedicated, I wanted to feel the love I had for her. 
    <Removed by moderator>

Since that day apart from her funeral I’ve not been able to go outside, I have not been diagnosed agoraphobic however when I leave the house with is a rarity I scratch I don’t mean slightly scratch my body is bruised and bleeding through scratching I have flash backs from when Florence passed away. 
    I darent go out alone I need my mum with me even when she is with me I still scratch I just can’t stop it it doesn’t hurt when I am doing it I just can’t stop it all the day after even when I’m home I still continue to itch. 
    I cannot breath and my head pulls me back to when she passed away. 

The lady that did this scored me with 12 points. 

I know I don’t have a decision however this is what she has scored for me, she spoke with my psych before talking to me. 

Hope that helps. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options
    @mshugz Hello there, how are you doing today?

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your beautiful Florence. I can't even begin to comprehend how you are feeling but I'm pleased you have your mum to lean on during this difficult time  <3 There are a number of organisations about who are especially trained to deal with baby loss, and I'd recommend giving them a peep if you haven't already:

Tommys
    Sands
    Aching Arms
    Lullaby Trust

Due to the sensitive nature of some of your comment, I edited out one sentence. This is in no way to undermine or dismiss your experience, rather your safety is our priority and I'll be emailing you soon to see if there is anything we can do here at Scope to support you. 

In relation to your self-harm, I'd also encourage you to speak about this with your GP and/or mental health team, and have a read of these online resources for more information around getting help:
    Please do keep a look out for that email and take care.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.