Hidden offers to help pay for gas and electricity - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hidden offers to help pay for gas and electricity

Options
2»

Comments

• racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    You have only shown part of the info about E.on Next's Energy Fund. Please see: https://www.eonnextenergyfund.com/
    which says,

'What will I need to provide?

For a grant towards bills

To complete your application, there are some details that we’ll need from you like your E.ON Next account number and a recent meter reading so that we can make sure that the balance due is up to date. We may also need to ask for some of the following information:

- Proof of all household income for yourself and anyone living with you for the current tax year.
    Yes I have all of that.

- All pages from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) stating your entitlement to a benefit and the amounts due to be paid for the current tax year.
    Yes, I have most of that though I may have to get some of the info from the DWP

- Pension letters for State or private pensions.
    I will have to get that from the pension providers

- Medical confirmation from the organisation that referred you to the fund or a medical DS1500 form or medical confirmation from a consultant or your doctor.
    Yes, I have reams of evidence for both of us 

- Please note all supporting evidence must be less than three months old with the exception of Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) annual benefit letters, for example, State Pension and Child Benefit letters. All documents must clearly show name and address details as well as the amounts currently being received for the current tax year.
    It will be.

The Fund recommends all applicants seek money advice before applying, to help negotiate with any other creditors and maximise welfare benefits and income.'

So again, unfortunately, we're back to you no longer claiming Pension Credit (however difficult you found it).
    I feel E.on 'offer' to help, but are under no obligation to do so if a claimant doesn't first help themselves.
    This would then leave funds available to those who can't maximise their welfare benefits (& income).
    It seems you have been politely refused, & a reason given.

Where does it say that we would have to seek money advice or to maximise welfare benefits? Are you suggesting that every applicant has to prove that they cannot access any unclaimed benefits no matter what they are? Ridiculous. Put a claim in for anything and everything just to get a letter of negative entitlement. 

Immaterial anyhow as I have manged to clear the debt so no need to ask for any help. I would have done had I known about this offer at the time. That's the point of this discussion. There are over 880,000 people in this country that do not claim PC for whatever reason. I'm sure that they all don't have to seek welfare advice to see what they can squeeze out of the State before getting help for their fuel bills.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,778 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It clearly states that you must "maximise" welfare benefits, ergo not claiming a benefit is not maximising your income, good to hear that you have managed to clear the debt and can move forward now.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• racyguy
    Options
    woodbine said:
    It clearly states that you must "maximise" welfare benefits, ergo not claiming a benefit is not maximising your income, good to hear that you have managed to clear the debt and can move forward now.
    I still cannot see where the above is a condition of making a claim - could you please point out that section from the above.
    You are only being asked to provide evidence of what you are receiving, not what you could be receiving.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,916 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    racyguy said:
    woodbine said:
    I still cannot see where the above is a condition of making a claim - could you please point out that section from the above.

Read this link here that @chiarieds posted. https://www.eonnextenergyfund.com/
    Scroll to the bottom of the page and in bold letters it says..
    The Fund recommends all applicants seek money advice before applying, to help negotiate with any other creditors and maximise welfare benefits and income.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,916 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are depriving yourself of income by refusing to claim PC. ( yes i know you keep saying the reasons so i don't need to know why) What makes you think they will help you with your bills when you won't claim a benefit that you're entitled to?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • racyguy
    Options
    You are depriving yourself of income by refusing to claim PC. ( yes i know you keep saying the reasons so i don't need to know why) What makes you think they will help you with your bills when you won't claim a benefit that you're entitled to?
    Ah I didn't read that far down - sorry.
    But that is not really a problem. I know what I am entitled to and how to claim it (Pension Credit) I have had plenty of experience with the Pension Service in the past. Going back to 2004, I have had three PC claims and awards. The first two were shut down by them and the third was closed by me.
    As I have said it is immaterial now as I no longer have a debt with EON.
    What you must take into account is the threat from the PS that if I did make a claim in the future and failed to keep them updated on all of the changes in income on a monthly basis within 1 month then they wouldn't hesitate to suspend the claim with a view to closing the award down. 
    It's next April that concerns me. I have no idea what the bills would be. So, to get round all of this and to use the long delay in the PS making awards I will make another claim next March via Age UK with a 3-month backdating application. Then I can make an application for help from the fund should I be in debt again. I have no idea how long it will take the PS to get round to suspending the new claim but, in the meantime, I would be getting help from EON. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2022
    Options
    It sounds really positive that you know what you are entitled to and how to claim it @racyguy.

However, I can hear that it might not be as simple as it seems when you take into account the thread from the PS. 

I can hear that it's next April which particularly concerns you at the moment - especially with having no idea what the bills would be.

What, if anything, would make things feel more manageable for you at the moment? We are all here for you and listening to you if you would like to share more with us  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.