Halloween topic...what scares you? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Halloween topic...what scares you?

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,697 Disability Gamechanger
I know I made this question before but I thought it was good to ask it again for Halloween.

For me:

Spiders. A boring one I know but I think I actually am getting more scared of them as I get older. I have to check the ceiling and walls every night before I can go to bed and if there is one in the room I can't even put it outside, I sadly have to terminate with maximum prejudice.

Social encounters. Any social event scares me as I never seem to know how to act and afterwards I always think I did something wrong and could have done it differently.

Drowning. Not sure why but I am really scared of drowning and would hate for this to be my way to go.

Your turn :)

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Funnily enough I had a dream last night whereby I was bitten by a snake with huge fangs! So yes, I don’t like snakes or sharks, or most large predators. 

Not bothered by spiders unless theyre the size of a tarantula. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Siwheels73
    Siwheels73 Scope Member Posts: 746 Pioneering
    Options
    Deep water, after falling into a school pool when very young, strapped into my wheelchair. Long, long story.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Birds as I was attacked by a raven as a child also monkeys after incident at safari park and then at a zoo where they were roaming free fighting each other 
  • emancherry33
    emancherry33 Community member Posts: 3,640 Pioneering
    Options
    Big hairy spiders always seemed to find me,hate the scurrying sound they make when they crepe across your pillow during the night , another thing they do to me. Heights and bills coming through the post.
  • emancherry33
    emancherry33 Community member Posts: 3,640 Pioneering
    Options
    When young had this top to a laundry basket , had 6 legs sticking out of it with 2 handles sticking out the top of it looked nearest to a spider crab 🦀 used to scare me half to death every day till one of our cats regularly used it to go to toilet on it and it got chucked away hurray.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,394 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Birds for me too! I remember having a bird at home when i was a small child and my father always used to let it out of the cage every single day but i was terrified of it flying over my head. Can't stand the thought of birds being anywhere near me now.
    Spiders, i don't like then at all but since having my children my fear has improved a little because it was always me that had to "get" that spider. Even now living with my daughter who's 21 and terrified of them i s have to rescue her.. she will say it's HUGE even if it's small. Yes, i do check my walls and ceiling before going to bed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Binky1234
    Binky1234 Community member Posts: 408 Pioneering
    Options
    Birds, butterfly, moths, jenny long legs basically anything that can fly around my head.

In a car on a country road at night time, lined with trees, you look behind you and see nothing but darkness, then looking forward more darkness with tree lined bending roads ahead. What is lurking in the trees or round the next corner 👻👽

My imagination goes into overdrive and basically scare myself.

Knowing When to walk away is Wisdom, being able is courage, walking away with your head held high is dignity.
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    Options
    Being abducted by aliens and taken to a faraway galaxy in a distant universe and plonked on a remote planet that didn't have wi-fi or catch-up tv. Seriously!
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have lots but at the moment I spend a lot of time worrying about people breaking into my house. 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Bless you @Biblioklept think this is one i can associate with, i have glass or mettle chimes hanging on my front and back doors, also on a window in the back bedroom thats not used much, but i can see were baddies can get in. 

Don't laugh, but i am truly frightened of werewolves, i can be frightened of big dogs so that's probably were the fear comes from, it's the teeth and growling woooo x
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Options
    To be serious, I have a really bad phobia about footballs. When I was about 7 I was playing football in the street. I was quite tall for my age, I saw the ball coming my way and decided to head it. However my brother, who was a really violent psychopath, threw a house brick at my head. I headed the brick instead and my head was split open. All I could see was red blood before my eyes. I was rushed to hospital. Since then, I can't be around footballs. My logical mind tells me I should be afraid of house bricks, but phobias don't follow the rules of logic.
  • SueHeath
    Options
    wow @Steve_in_The_City that sounds traumatic, with the house brick.
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,434 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
                   'The wardrobe monster'...... and I'm serious!!  ;) I cannot sleep in a room if the wardrobe door is open, even a tiny bit. I'm not bothered about the trolls that live under the bed though  :joy:
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,826 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Bats  loads by me, problem I have is that they fly wonky so always seems like they are aiming towards me
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Options
    @SueHeath It was traumatic. Social Services were involved. My parents passed it off as "normal boys stuff" but there was nothing normal about my brothers violence towards me. I used to wake up in the morning and think "am I still going to be alive by bedtime?".

The football phobia has affected me all my life. When I hear kids in the courtyard kicking a ball around I get very tense, but I go out and face it. People kick balls around everywhere; I just have to be stoic and accept it. So I can sit on a beach and look happy when a ball is being kicked around, but inwardly I feel nervous and frightened, like something bad will happen. C'est la vie, I suppose.
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,603 Pioneering
    Options
    Cobwebs that get caught in my hair because we all know what is coming next... 
    Large hairy spiders!!
    I used to live on an RAF camp in a mess with SPIDERS the size of dinner plates that used to live in the crawl space above the central corridor - they used to make noises at night (communicating with each other ?)
    They really freaked me out
    I always assumed that they had arrived in UK via flight from foreign climes
  • SueHeath
    Options
    Sounds like you had a real bad time growing up with your brother @Steve_in_The_City just out of interest do you still see any of your family?

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,625 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My own body.  (And by extension, everything that could affect it!)
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Options
    @SueHeath I dumped my family years ago. No-one wants to be without family, but in my case it wasn't worth the angst of knowing them. My mum is at the centre of the family problems. She had an unusual form of Munchausen syndrome by proxy. Instead of physically abusing her children she abused us psychologically. My brother and sister didn't escape her conditioning and both left school illiterate, and both are totally nasty. My brother was notorious. I had to leave home and change my name to escape the negative consequences of the family name. To a point I had the strength of mind to stand up to my mum and I learned how to read, write and behave like a sentient human being; she couldn't stand it and despised me. My brother and sister didn't know that she had been married before and had 3 children who were taken away from her. She was then sectioned for around 10 years. They released her and the cycle of dysfunction began all over again when she married my dad. I met my half brother who was a chip off the old block. He was a thief, a philanderer (no woman was safe around him, he was featured in a News of the World article when he married a young woman, he was on the run from the police and her parents reported the marriage, and he was arrested a few minutes after tying the knot). He gave a whole new meaning to the term "brotherly love" so I dumped him. I met my 2 half-sisters. One killed herself. She was only young. So I have no family, but in my case that is a good thing! 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,826 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Goodness @Steve_in_The_City I can see why you wanted out. Must be hard on you tho at times.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.