If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm worried about my brother - can you advise?

Calverley4 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I am hoping you can help me.  My brother is 54 with mental health issues.  He doesn't work and he receives benefits and rent for his flat, which he has lived in for 20 years.  Last year our mother died and left us her house.  The sale is going through at the moment but my brother is very worried about what will happen when he inherits the money.  He will obviously have the money to pay for himself, and that isnt a problem but he is worried sick that he will have to move out of his flat.  Loosing Mum was a huge blow to him, she was the only person he really had contact with (he has no friends or social life) and he's finding it hard without her.  I live in Spain so am not familiar with his arrangements (and frankly he seems to have no idea either!).  
What I would like to do is to make sure that everything stays pretty much the same for him in terms of his flat and his access to his doctors as they are a constant in his life - changing things will possibly cause him to become ill again and I would like to avoid that!
I dont know where to turn or what to do to help him.  Can you point me in the right direction?  How do I find out who pays his rent and how/if we can take over this payment directly so that he doesnt loose his flat?  


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,114 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry for your loss. Did your mother leave him the house in her will?
    Rent is paid either by a local Authority through housing benefit or from DWP as part of Universal Credit. You will need to ask him what benefits he's claiming exactly for anyone to be able to advise you further.
    Don't worry because he won't lose his flat.
    Was the house left to you and him in your mother's will?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Calverley4
    Calverley4 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    yes.  But now we are selling it.  Which is what is upsetting him, I thought he was coping well - he used to go and take her shopping once a week and do his laundry there - she took him out for lunch sometimes and called him almost daily.  I know he misses her but he's done really well, helping me with the bills and stuff (I have to call him from Spain when things need doing, but he does them :) )  All of a sudden he is feeling scared and he told me he feels like he's "getting ill again" which I totally understand, the house is our last link with her. I just want him to have as much stability now as possible while he adjusts to not having the house to visit anymore, you know?  The flat is important to him right now.
    Thanks for your input, I will ask him what benefits he is on and see what he says.
    Am grateful for your help 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2022
    It sounds really difficult for you at the moment @Calverley especially as your brother is more upset than you thought he was. I can hear that he feels like he's "getting ill again". 

    Would anything, in particular, help things to feel more manageable at the moment? We are here for you and listening to you if you would like to share more with us.

    Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if we can do anything to support you. We are all here for you and listening to you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

    Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.