Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Hi, my name is Nico23! getting PIP and LCWRA

Options
Nico23
Nico23 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi guys,
I've been following some of these chats over the last few weeks, mainly to get a better understanding of the process involved applying all the stressful phone calls and forms that come along with it.
the info i had got from various ppl that has posted up on here has helped greatly. i had a rollercoaster ride with the DWP getting everything sorted but it paid off in the end and i got most of what i wanted and getting both high rate pip and finally the LCWRA element.

So i thought it was only fair to post something to help others that may be struggling to get these benefits.
I receive  my benefits for mainly Depression and anxiety, If anybody is out there needing some advice I'm more than happy to help where i can.
I'm no expert but i have been through the mill so to spk so any questions ppl may have i will help to solve them.

Comments

• user1408
    user1408 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Morning, I too just received a call yesterday to say I’m being awarded pip she didn’t say which one but told me roughly the amount of back pay. ( looks like enhanced care and low mobility by the amount )

I found the process far easier than most would of done (I had my support worker do my application, I only uploaded evidence which she helped sieve through and get me too) 

I would of been entitled to PIP/DLA for a long time I think but due to my conditions I’ve never completed forms.

I was hospitalised a few days before my assessment and in total for 14 days. So I didn’t even attend my assessment. They allowed my support worker to do it over the phone for me. I had acalculous cholecystitis, an infection in my gallbladder and had to have it removed lol so that saved me from having to have a face to face assessment. How bad is that! I’d rather have that emergency surgery than the anxiety of that face to face assessment, after hearing all the horror stories about them. 

My conditions listed on my application.

emotionally unstable personality disorder - lifelong 
    adhd - lifelong 
    anxiety- I’ve had this more intense, last 5 years 
    chronic migraines - since 10 years old (on anti epileptic medication daily for these and have been hospitalised for them) 

Now I don’t know yet what I’ve been awarded PIP for, and I can come back and update once I have the report. 

The process took 18 weeks in total, 
    I got a call yesterday to tell me I was awarded and I got a text this morning to tell me I was awarded. She called me for some details about my hospital stay so I don’t think everyone gets a call and will know the amount prior to receiving it. 

The decision from the assessment date and assessment report text was 2 weeks. 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,159 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    user1408 said:

Now I don’t know yet what I’ve been awarded PIP for,
    It will be because of the way your conditions affect you and not for the actual conditions (diagnosis itself)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Woo171
    Woo171 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Hi @Nico23 well done with your claims! I have recently sent off the UC50 form for my brother and now have a PIP form to complete.
    He has suffered with anxiety and depression for  well over 20 years without seeking medical help or confiding in me or his friends. Also he has suspected  COPD.  He is now getting help with both.
    He has worked on contracts in Steelworks etc and taken time off between contracts to get his head together.  He last worked December 2021.
     I became aware of his plight in July.  Whilst sorting his rent arrears I managed to move him to a ground floor flat because of mobility issues. He has serious financial  problems which we are dealing with.  He has only recently received his first UC payment.
    Have you any top tips in completing this form. I am helping my brother but it's very stressful for me as I am already a carer to someone else. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • stephan41621536
    stephan41621536 Scope Member Posts: 18 Connected
    edited November 2022
    Options
    hello @Nino23 l suffer from severe anixiety and depression l sent my form of in  October did you have to go for an assessment?and if so what was it like l am dreading having to do this and so wish they do a paper based one. Any advice ,tips?
  • user1408
    Options
    hello @Nino23 l suffer from severe anixiety and depression l sent my form of in  October did you have to go for an assessment?and if so what was it like l am dreading having to do this and so wish they do a paper based one. Any advice ,tips?
    I got invited to a face to face assessment. So I’m guessing everyone does? Think it was only through covid they did telephone assessments. 

Luckily I didn’t have to endure the face to face. As I was in hospital having emergency surgery at the time of my assessment date. So my support worker did the assessment over the phone for me. Which they allowed.

But they questioned what hospital and ward I was on, surgery I was having and how long I was in hospital for. I think they’re able to confirm this as we sign to say they can have access to our medical records. 

So I wouldn’t advise anyone to use a false excuse lol because I think they do check. 

You are allowed to take someone with you. As I was having my worker come with initially before I fell ill. 
  • user1408
    Options
    user1408 said:

Now I don’t know yet what I’ve been awarded PIP for,
    It will be because of the way your conditions affect you and not for the actual conditions (diagnosis itself)
    Yes but you can get an idea on what elements of your disabilities or which grounds of mental health you’ve been awarded on. 

As I put migraines which for me are just as bad as my mental health and adhd. 
    Because they put me in bed unable to move and they also put me in the hospital. 

• stephan41621536
    Options
    @Nico23 thanks for speedy reply . No l would not lie l be too sacred of that they can check everything with my Doctor it's all there for all to see . Glad u got a good outcome hope we all do it bad enough having anixitey and depression without having to go for an accessment which to me is the most anixitey inducting scenario you could get.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,159 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    user1408 said:

But they questioned what hospital and ward I was on, surgery I was having and how long I was in hospital for. I think they’re able to confirm this as we sign to say they can have access to our medical records.

You give them permission to contact medical professionals and not permission to access medical records. Though they very rarely contact anyone for any evidence.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • user1408
    Options
    user1408 said:

You give them permission to contact medical professionals and not permission to access medical records. Though they very rarely contact anyone for any evidence.
    Yes that’s what I meant, so they are able to check if they wanted to. Which in my instance I think they did. 
  • user1408
    Options
    @Nico23 thanks for speedy reply . No l would not lie l be too sacred of that they can check everything with my Doctor it's all there for all to see . Glad u got a good outcome hope we all do it bad enough having anixitey and depression without having to go for an accessment which to me is the most anixitey inducting scenario you could get.

I know I felt similar, I actually preferred having emergency major surgery than facing that. 
    Even though I was in terrible pain and still am now weeks later. 

Good luck to you, and please remember you can take someone with you, which did help me a little knowing that I wasn’t initially attending alone. 
  • stephan41621536
    Options
    @user1408 yes l will be doing thanks.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.