Reasonable Adjustments — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Reasonable Adjustments

Options
kimba19
kimba19 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi I'm just interested if anyone has had there reasonable adjustments refused.
I've requested reasonable adjustments from the following ...
Daughters school
Gps
Mental health team
I have requested that I voice record meets/discussions that involve me or my daughter so that I am able to play it back to myself when in a quiet n relaxed place. Due to memory anxiety ptsd dyslexia.
So far they have all refused both nhs have done it as far as stop appointments whilst I'm there which has caused more distress to me. 
The school are stating that there offered me alternative adjustments and they won't allow recording. Due to there staff not consenting and they have to support there staff. 
Where do I stand do I have to except reasonable adjustments there offered even though there not suitable.
Thank you for reading 
It's very much appreciated 😀 

Comments

• APenny
    APenny Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Options
    out of order this is not helping you at all
  • kimba19
    Options
    No it's not its adding to all my issues terribly. The trouble is I'm not only having mental health problems I'm having physical issues n in extreme pain most the time 
  • racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Options
    Reasonable adjustments? I can't get the Pension Service to give me any. They accuse me of playing the system if they did.
    So had to give up claiming a much-needed benefit worth £1.000's a year due to low income and age.
  • kimba19
    Options
    I would be asking for help and asking for reasons why they won't.
    N make sure it's via email so your got a trial. 
    What you need to do is put in the request for them in email n if they say no as why they can't as there's only really a few reasons they can't. N then if I was you go citizens advice or another charity for help
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would progress the school issue to the governors 

The NHS through PALS

However you do need permission from individuals if you want to record them 
  • kimba19
    Options
    The school doesn't have governors it has a trust and there already Been spoken too. But I'm now getting legal advice about it.

Pals aren't a complaint service they are a liase service all they do is pass on your email problem to the department for them to respond.
    Nhs guidelines are that you can voice record any of your appointments and so do the gmc and so does my local mental health teams policy but still the staff on the ground denied it.

As for consent where does that come from please as I can't find anything that says that? 

• janer1967
    Options
    Done bit more checking it isn't illegal to record without consent but it is to pass that recording to any third party 

As you are only wanting it for your own use that wouldn't be the issue 

In practice some businesses do not allow recording of disciplinary meetings for example and  where they do allow it ask permission of all parties 

Recordings can be edited which can cause concern 

I'm not saying you shouldn't be allowed it seems perfectly reasonable to me but just trying to put some context to why they are refusing 

Good luck hope you get it sorted 
  • janer1967
    Options
    Pals is a liason service but has always worked for me with any NHS issues as it is a documented issue and is monitored to ensure that it is resolved 
  • kimba19
    Options
    I know it's not illegal n can't pass on I've done my reasearch about it to death I just thought you knew where the consent had come from.

Pals are a waste of space. The problem never gets resolved all they do is possible Sort your problem out but when the next comes along they have the same problems so there's not point in talking to them if they can't resolve issue fully. All there doing is slightly sorting it n gps don't have pals in my area.
    It's the drs complaint manager n so far they have write to be about previous problems and they aren't willing to resolve anything other than come up with excuses for what happened. 
  • Sue78
    Sue78 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    kimba19 said:
    What you need to do is put in the request for them in email n if they say no as why they can't as there's only really a few reasons they can't. N then if I was you go citizens advice or another charity for help
    There is no email access for government departments - well not for the Pension Service, part of the DWP there isn't.
    You either have to phone and get nowhere most of the time or write a letter that never gets answered.
    On the odd times that I have spoken to someone they tell me that the law is the law both for the disabled and the non-disabled. I've even had my MP contact them and he got the same reply - no reasonable adjustment will be given and certainly not to me.
    Obviously, I know why as I have already made them aware that the simplest adjustment and one that others do get results in an overpayment which if kept below £65 a time, they cannot recover it.
  • kimba19
    Options
    I don't know look up complaining against dwp. complaining do it all by recorded post or record your calls. I just my phone If I'm in a meeting but my tablet if I'm calling. 

If no good send a letter to them making a formal complaint with regards to direct discrimination as they won't allow your reasonable adjustments. It's rubbish that you have to be treated the same as no disabled as that why the equality act 2010 was brought out.

The trouble is they do this to people as they know they will get away with it as there got so much going so they rely on no one complaining. Speak to your mp about it. Worth a shot 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,025 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sue78 said:
    kimba19 said:
    There is no email access for government departments - well not for the Pension Service, part of the DWP there isn't.
    You either have to phone and get nowhere most of the time or write a letter that never gets answered.
    On the odd times that I have spoken to someone they tell me that the law is the law both for the disabled and the non-disabled. I've even had my MP contact them and he got the same reply - no reasonable adjustment will be given and certainly not to me.
    Obviously, I know why as I have already made them aware that the simplest adjustment and one that others do get results in an overpayment which if kept below £65 a time, they cannot recover it.

@Sue78 are you related in anyway to racyguy? I don't understand your comment about overpayment. In another thread of yours you were given some advice about claiming pension credit and AA for your husband. https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/97656/im-new-on-here-a-friend-told-me-to-ask-my-question-looking-for-help#latest

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kimba19
    Options
    You asking me? I've asked if anyone has had recording meetings as reasonable adjustments n then someone started asking about pensions.
    I don't have a clue was just offering advise.

I just want know if anyone has had the same trouble as me with reasonable adjustments.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,025 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    kimba19 said:
    You asking me? 
    No, your name is Kimba19. I quoted and tagged Sue78. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.