Continuously fobbed off by British Gas — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Continuously fobbed off by British Gas

Options
Emma52
Emma52 Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
I'm down as being a Vulnerable British Gas Customer. I now feel this just means they feel I'm even less important. Their workman broke my pay as you go metre and now they have ran both myself and my voluntary carer ragged trying to load a new PAYG card. They keep pushing for me to go onto a smart metre but I know I have the right not to. They have given my carer several codes to use at a specific shop and not one of them worked. We've phoned for hours, emailed their CEO, complained on their FB site and in a chat room. As it stands I am too scared to use hot water/heating as the money that is on the metre will soon expire. I am sat at home with candles to take the edge off the cold wearing layers of warm clothing. I was told that if I complain to the ombudsman they could tell British Gas to take action but that British Gas are not legally bound to do anything they say. Help please.

Tagged:

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Emma52 and thanks for reaching out today, I'm so sorry to hear about what's been happening, it must be quite a worry for you. 

Who have you spoken to about complaining to the Ombudsman? I would say it's worth doing if you feel able to, as it's clear the response you're getting from British Gas is not acceptable.

Scope has a disability energy support service and our team may be about to help. Alternately you can also reach out to the Scope Helpline by phone or email to speak to one of our advisers.

It's really important that you're able to keep warm and stay safe, do you have friends or family you can call on for support at the moment? 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Emma52
    Options
    My carer comes to do my tablets at about 7.30pm, he has messaged me that he is going to try yet another code tonight. Fingers crossed but not counting my chickens. I don't have any friends that I can ask for help and my Dad is extremely ill himself (cancer) so I can not go to him. Will come back and message you again tomorrow if things are the same.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 174 Listener
    Options
    Can I ask why you don't want a smart meter? 
    They can be extremely useful for vulnerable customers, if you run out of credit they can add credit to your meter automatically if you phone them up, which is definitely not possible with a key meter. It also helps monitor your energy usage so less electricity gets used. I switched from a key to a smart meter 6 months ago and it just so much easier and can control my usage. Ive never understood this fear of smart meters, I may be wrong but aren't they going to become mandatory at some point.
  • Emma52
    Options
    Because so many people have told me that they go wrong. Several people on the British Gas Website page are still waiting for their smart metes to be fixed.
  • Emma52
    Options
    After more than 2 weeks I have just had a British Gas Card delivered that doesn't need a code, it's the one they said would be with me 2 Friday's ago. It even has the £60 they owe me on it - not ashamed to say I'm having a little happy cry.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Glad it's all sorted 

I have a British gas smart meter was here when I got the property as its new build 

I've been here 5 years and never had a single issue with it 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,605 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have a smart meter, though it's not a prepayment one. They were here when i moved in and been here 3 years. Never had any issues.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm glad it's been sorted @emma52 :) There's no shame in having a happy cry! Do you have any plans for the rest of the day? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 174 Listener
    Options
    The new smart meters being installed do not have the same issues as the older ones.Problems are extremely rare, in fact old prepayment meters are more likely to have issues with incorrect meter readings than the new ones. It's why I had to have my meter changed I was being massively overcharged, I've never looked back 
  • Stuart34604
    Stuart34604 Scope Member Posts: 6 Connected
    Options
    Emma52 said:
    I'm down as being a Vulnerable British Gas Customer. I now feel this just means they feel I'm even less important. Their workman broke my pay as you go metre and now they have ran both myself and my voluntary carer ragged trying to load a new PAYG card. They keep pushing for me to go onto a smart metre but I know I have the right not to. They have given my carer several codes to use at a specific shop and not one of them worked. We've phoned for hours, emailed their CEO, complained on their FB site and in a chat room. As it stands I am too scared to use hot water/heating as the money that is on the metre will soon expire. I am sat at home with candles to take the edge off the cold wearing layers of warm clothing. I was told that if I complain to the ombudsman they could tell British Gas to take action but that British Gas are not legally bound to do anything they say. Help please.

I having problems with British gas too,not replying to my complaint email. Asked my MP Charlotte Nichols for help & she done nothing. 

I going to withhold the gas electricity bill money if no reply & remedy by December.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,605 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

I going to withhold the gas electricity bill money if no reply & remedy by December.

I wouldn't advise you to do that, it's never a good idea not to pay your bills because otherwise this could affect your credit history.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    Emma52 said:

I having problems with British gas too,not replying to my complaint email. Asked my MP Charlotte Nichols for help & she done nothing. 

You have to bear in mind that the utility companies are going through a lot too; all customers from the companies that have folded are being divided amongst the main players which means they will be very busy. Likewise for your MP; you don`t know why she hasn`t responded, she may be busy with higher priority issues.  Life isn`t black and white.

• veriterc
    veriterc Community member Posts: 242 Pioneering
    Options
    Although your story is awful, it reassures me that I am not alone in having massive problems
    with British Gas.  Three years ago my bill said I was in credit.  The next one said I owed them £8,000 !  Three years later they STILL haven't given me an e ignoring . Ombudsman was hopeless, Citizens' Advice did help, but they couldn't get an answer from British Gas.  But I did get superb help from Better Housing Better Health - they found I have been massively overcharged, but must say British Gas
    seem to be ignoring them.  Still if I go to jail at least I won't have to pay for hrating or food !
  • Emma52
    Options
    Cartini said: In response to Energy Companies and MPs having a difficult time: These people are paid to do a job which they were either contracted or elected to do. I fail to see why they deserve our sympathy and understanding when they are obviously not giving that to the people they have failed. I can forgive a genuine mistake but these are mistakes with financial benefit to those making them. I'm sorry Cartini but my Halo is in the dry cleaners lol

Emma52 said:

You have to bear in mind that the utility companies are going through a lot too; all customers from the companies that have folded are being divided amongst the main players which means they will be very busy. Likewise for your MP; you don`t know why she hasn`t responded, she may be busy with higher priority issues.  Life isn`t black and white.

In response to Cartini who commented on Stuart 34604 post: I find it difficult to feel sorry for Energy companies and Politicians who you say are going through a difficult timh
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    Emma52 said:
    Cartini said: In response to Energy Companies and MPs having a difficult time: These people are paid to do a job which they were either contracted or elected to do. I fail to see why they deserve our sympathy and understanding when they are obviously not giving that to the people they have failed. I can forgive a genuine mistake but these are mistakes with financial benefit to those making them. I'm sorry Cartini but my Halo is in the dry cleaners lol

Emma52 said:

In response to Cartini who commented on Stuart 34604 post: I find it difficult to feel sorry for Energy companies and Politicians who you say are going through a difficult timh
    That`s your choice; like I said earlier.... life isn`t black and white.

• Emma52
    Options
    Cartini said:
    Emma52 said:

Emma52 said:

Emma52 said:

• Emma52
    Options
    Cartini said:
    Emma52 said:

Emma52 said:

I totally agree. Life isn't black and white. But that leaves me with a void of understanding your point. Could you give me an example of when it is ok for anyone not to do what they are paid to do when it could leave a vulnerable person without heating, light etc. Much appreciation in advance.
  • veriterc
    veriterc Community member Posts: 242 Pioneering
    Options
    I totally agree that life isn't black and white, but I am trying to find an excuse for British Gas's treatment of me - I am supposed to be on a priority register as a vulnerable person, and they have said they will redaave tried and tried to remind them, but they STILL persist in sending 
    me threatening emails to read my meter - another has just arrived today.  Does anyone know  a good lawyer with Rottweiller ancestry?  !!
  • Emma52
    Options
    veriterc said:
    I totally agree that life isn't black and white, but I am trying to find an excuse for British Gas's treatment of me - I am supposed to be on a priority register as a vulnerable person, and they have said they will redaave tried and tried to remind them, but they STILL persist in sending 
    me threatening emails to read my meter - another has just arrived today.  Does anyone know  a good lawyer with Rottweiller ancestry?  !!

• Emma52
    Options
    Hi veriterc, so sorry you're going through it with British Gas at the moment. Have you tried the Citizen Advice Bureau. They should be able to put you in touch with a lawyer. You are entitled to the service you pay for. As for the messages I suggest you start a diary which will need signing and dating at the bottom of every page. I would also suggest taking a photo of the messages and doing the same.  I say this as you may also have a case for harassment if you have informed them and it continues. Wishing you all the very best.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.