Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Sanctioned by motability

Options
mirah
mirah Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I'm asking for help for my mum. She found her motability car missing and reported to police as stolen. 
It turned out my brother, her son, had taken it to try and sell. He has issues with drugs and gambling and owes quite a lot of money. 
My mum has now been sanctioned by motability for 5 years but she needs her car to get around. 

Is there any thing we can do or appeal this at all? She didn't know her son had taken it and she didn't give him permission to drive it

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,740 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @mirah Hello and a warm welcome to our online community. How are you today?

I'm sorry to hear about the incident with your brother. That must have been very upsetting for your family. Has he himself got much support around the various issues? Please let us know.

In regards to your mum being sanctioned by Motability, my colleague identified this in the Terms and conditions:
    :
    5.2.10 loss or damage arising from theft, attempted theft or taking without consent if: (a) the Vehicle is left unlocked; (b) the windows or glass sunroof of the Vehicle are left open; or (c) the Key(s) for the Vehicle is/are left in, on or about the Vehicle while it is unattended or unoccupied;

5.2.11 loss or damage resulting from the Vehicle being taken or arising when the Vehicle has been taken, without your permission by: (a) a member of the family of you or any Driver; (b) a girlfriend or boyfriend of you or any Driver; or (c) anyone who normally lives with you or any Driver unless such a person has been reported to the police for the purpose of a criminal prosecution and no subsequent statement is made indicating that such a person did in fact have your permission; or

5.2.12 loss or damage to Key(s)"
    Sadly, this doesn't sound promising. But you could get professional advice from either Advice Local or Citizen's Advice and perhaps try:
    • Motability's Request to rejoin the Scheme - although please be aware that there may be a caveat that you're only allowed to rejoin after a certain time has elapsed. This isn't apparent in the opening text but best to be aware.
    • Complaints procedure (pages 27-28 of this Motability booklet)
    Please let us know how you get on and wishing your mum all the best in this difficult situation. 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,093 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's a shame that happened but I have to agree that they should have the option to "sanction", could she afford to buy a car using the PIP money she will receive having "lost" the car?

2024 Election won

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.