If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Energy saving myths

Options
Wibbles
Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,642 Pioneering
edited November 2022 in Cost of living
I get fed up with people (and official government advice) stating that considerable energy (and hence money) can be saved by not leaving TV's and similar equipment in standby mode !
A modern LED TV in standby mode uses such a tiny amount of electricity (basically enough to run a LED circuit (milliamps) to not notice any useage..

Then there's "Save any boiled water in a thermos - to save having to boil it again"
When they should say "Only boil the amount that you need, in the first place"

Tagged:

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your views with us @Wibbles. I can hear that this makes you fed up and the reason why it makes you fed up. 

I thought your added tip was a great addition to your post! If anyone else wishes to respond to this thread please feel free to  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • RetroRemix
    RetroRemix Community member Posts: 165 Pioneering
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Yep, another thing that is commonly said, is the saying to turn off your internet router at night to save money.

It will save money, but it will also mess up your broadband speed... because every time you turn it off, your internet provider flags it as a disconnection problem. 

So turning it off every night might result in them lowering your speed to compensate for the frequent disconnection problems their systems think you are having (Not all providers do this though), which also means a massive amount of money lost every month if you already pay a lot for that high speed connection!

• Wibbles
    Options
    Sky boxes will save a tiny amount too
  • WholeSumMum
    WholeSumMum Community member Posts: 10 Courageous
    Options
    I managed to speak to our broadband, tv, phone provider and managed to get same broadband speed, a few less channels (which we never watched anyway), a bit better phone package and will be saving £47 per month - did it just after a payment went through for older amount so will not see proper benefit until January 2023. Every time they ask for feed back I say I would rather build my own channels package and be charged accordingly - it may eventually get to this point.
  • WholeSumMum
    WholeSumMum Community member Posts: 10 Courageous
    Options
    As we have solar panels we try to use dishwasher / washing machine during daylight hours. Not always possible though. Have also found a way to check my own households "peak" useage times. From that we have turned down our shower temperature - helps a bit. Turned down the brightness and other settings on our smart tv (think if it was that smart it would do it itself). We have started to unplug as many plugs (we have mostly switchable multi sockets) as we can as soon as we can. Also the £6.99 I think, Netflix package isn't so bad either.
  • Wibbles
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I managed to speak to our broadband, tv, phone provider and managed to get same broadband speed, a few less channels (which we never watched anyway), a bit better phone package and will be saving £47 per month - did it just after a payment went through for older amount so will not see proper benefit until January 2023. Every time they ask for feed back I say I would rather build my own channels package and be charged accordingly - it may eventually get to this point.

Its always worth negotiatng with your providers - especially if you are "out of contract"
    I pay TalkTalk - £25 per month for unlimited 65Mbps fibre internet plus unlimited free calls !
    And if you let your provider know that you are disabled - they will not apply annual price hikes during your contract............https://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/broadband/help/broadband-on-benefits
    TalkTalk even offer 6 months free connection (dependant on the Job Centre

• Wibbles
    Options
    Yep, another thing that is commonly said, is the saying to turn off your internet router at night to save money.

It will save money, but it will also mess up your broadband speed... because every time you turn it off, your internet provider flags it as a disconnection problem. 

So turning it off every night might result in them lowering your speed to compensate for the frequent disconnection problems their systems think you are having (Not all providers do this though), which also means a massive amount of money lost every month if you already pay a lot for that high speed connection!

I agree about not turning off the router - my wife used to turn off my old MODEM (pre Router) and my speed dropped to 20kbps - I never figured out how to get it to increase back to a dizzy 56kbps
    When I upgraded to fibre - she kept on turning the router off and the speed dropped from 70Mbps to 20Mbps - Necessitating a visit from Openreach to reset it !

• Wibbles
    Options
    I believe that a Router "should" eventually recover any connection speed lost - by switching it off and on a few times - but this takes several days / weeks ?
  • RetroRemix
    RetroRemix Community member Posts: 165 Pioneering
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I'm not too sure how to recover speed, but yes I think just leaving the router on for as long as you possibly can should eventually recover it over the days and weeks.

I think you can also phone Openreach/BT for a profile reset if your speed still does not get back up? I'm not sure, because I've never had to do it yet, so please don't take my word for it!
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I was told by a plumber that turning heating on and off was a false economy, he reckoned it was cheaper to leave it on as it simply needed to boost the temperature rather than reheat the whole house repeatedly having been switched off completely.

Dont know if it’s true or not, kinda makes sense.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,802 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    People pass on their knowledge to try and help people save money  there're people out there for which every penny counts. So on that basis I'm not sure, in fact I am sure that helping people save a few quid is not a myth but essential. I always do my level best not to look down on people.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    leeCal said:
    I was told by a plumber that turning heating on and off was a false economy, he reckoned it was cheaper to leave it on as it simply needed to boost the temperature rather than reheat the whole house repeatedly having been switched off completely.

Hi leeCal,
    This is covered by Martin Lewis (Mods - this isn`t advertising, this is giving a link to help people with their heat management):
    Whether anyone places any value to his advice is another thing.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    Options
    leeCal said:

This is something I've heard too.  I think that it is possibly true because once a house gets cold it takes a long time for all the walls and doors etc to warm up.

I don't have central heating though.  What I do have is a gas fire in the living room downstairs and the chimney runs up the centre of the house, not on an outside wall. So the heat from the chimney bricks isn't lost because they are in the centre of the house alongside the stairs.  I can feel the warmth in them when going upstairs.

Leaving this gas fire on the lowest setting during very cold weather and the doors open downstairs keeps the whole house fairly warm.  And if necessary I have a gas wall heater on the landing.  Both fires use much less gas than a central heating boiler.

We also have cavity wall insulation and insulation in the loft.  Our double glazing is no longer very efficient so I have lovely thick curtains and close these in the late afternoon as soon as the light starts to go.  For hot water we have a multi point boiler which only comes on when we need hot water.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.