Hi, my name is kevster62! Is a lasting power of attorney advisable? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is kevster62! Is a lasting power of attorney advisable?

kevster62 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi,  my name is Kev , looking forwardto being part of the community  even thoughI don't get much time to fully take part. sorry if some messages go un-answered!


  • kevster62
    kevster62 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    is a lsting power of attorney advisable to have in place for the parents of a family member who has no capacity to make their own decisions?where is the best resource for advice which doesn't bombard youwith sales pitches!?
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Good morning @kevster62 welcome to our great group,
    My sister in law set up a power of attorney for my nephew, she got hers sorted with the same people that done her/hubby's will, sorry that's all i can offer, hopfully some one else on the forum may be able to help. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Campaigns Posts: 12,465 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @kevster62 :) 

    Don't worry if you miss any answers, or only log on every now and again! That's completely fine.

    I wouldn't be able to advise you on whether a lasting power of attorney (LPA) would be the most suitable option for you.

    You might find it helpful to read the gov.uk page on LPA, including the following information:
    Help deciding if you should make a lasting power of attorney

    Contact the Office of the Public Guardian if you need help.

    Office of the Public Guardian
    [email protected]
    Telephone: 0300 456 0300
    Textphone: 0115 934 2778
    Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, 9.30am to 5pm
    Wednesday, 10am to 5pm
    Find out about call charges
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

    Join our call for an equal future.
  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 487 Pioneering
    You cannot make a POA (finance or welfare) unless the person has capacity to agree to it.  The alternative is a deputyship (legal process about which I have little knowledge but others here probably do) 
    So for example I had to make sure we did one for my dad long before he got dementia: we have one for disabled son as he does have capacity but needs help with finances.   It is complicated and therefore very important to read up about it on link given above.  Good luck


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.