Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Council tax reduction

Options
wish
wish Community member Posts: 38 Connected
Hi all I believe my local council have got my council tax reduction in correct I pay £90 month last year I was paying £24 seems a big rise to me nothing has changed for my circumstances my understanding pipp is ignored my partner receives ESA contribution based support group so we don't automatically qualify for council tax reduction like we would if it was income related I receive my carers allowance and my wages at £400 month I've had discussion with council benefit team she said it's correct I did say I had put in a UC claim she said that may trigger a different figure im wandering if I would be best to cancel my carers allowance does carers allowance count as income when working out reduction for council tax council did say as soon as I get my award from UC I need send in the award that they send them they will re calculate figures 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Councils set their own rules so possibly the scheme rules have been revised between this year and last.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • wish
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Councils set their own rules so possibly the scheme rules have been revised between this year and last.
    R ok I didn't know that but thankyou for replying 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,506 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you checked on your council's website @wish? I'm wondering if it'd say on there.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • wish
    Options
    Not checked but have done an online calculation I'm getting different figures on the reduction then they are given me I think I just wait for UC see if that makes a difference thankyou for your message I really appreciate people's replays 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Lesstranj said:
    Tax policies change frequently, and the local council has the power to set its own rules regarding tax policies.
    The local authority can set its own rules for Council Tax Reduction for working agent claimants. This is a matter of benefits policy, not tax policy.

The amount of Council Tax is set locally but will change each April but the ability of the Council to raise Council Tax by a maximum % set by central government unless the Council conduct a local referendum.

Note too that the Council have no discretion to vary the Council Tax Reduction rules for pension age claimants.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.