Hi, my name is Star1! Will I be allowed to work 15 hours a week on ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Star1! Will I be allowed to work 15 hours a week on ESA?

Options
Star1
Star1 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
I'm new here and would like some advice on claiming ESA. if I'm on 15 hours a week and need to claim ESA will my work I am already in be allowed by DWP. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @star1 :) It's great to have you with us!

The gov.uk page on ESA says the following:
    Working while you claim

You can usually work while you are claiming ESA if both of the following apply:
    • you work less than 16 hours a week
    • you do not earn more than £152 a week
    You can do as many hours of voluntary work as you like.
    Tell Jobcentre Plus about your work including any volunteering when you make a claim.
    If you’re already claiming ESA and want to start work, fill in the ESA permitted work form. Send the form to Jobcentre Plus.

Does that help?

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Star1
    Options
    Hi thanks for your reply.
    It's the question of 'permitted work' that is queried. 
    I've asked the local job centre who said that it would be decided by DWP. I am doing 20 hours a week in catering but in loads of pain. I'm prepared to cut down to 10/15 hours because I have a mortgage to pay. I'm worried if I reduce my hours that I will not qualify for ESA. I'm in the process of trying to claim for PIP. I have numerous health issues. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No problem @star1 :) In that case, you may find it helpful to read Turn2Us' page on permitted work, which goes into a little more detail. 

What stage of the PIP process are you at?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Star1
    Options
    Just applied to take it to an independent tribunal. 
    Apparently up to six months so could be over a year by then since first applying. 
  • Star1
    Options
    Don't think I can cope with work for much longer. In so much pain. 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Hello @Star1

I'm so sorry to hear you are in so much pain :(

Are you receiving any medical support for it? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Star1
    Options
    Hi Hannah
    I'm on nortriptyline at night. Tried a few other drugs but we're no good. Still in pain though. Don't sleep much because of it. Just so tired all the time. Didn't think I would feel this old and unwell in my 50's. I know that there are people who are worse off, so try to carry on but it does affect your mental health too. My husband seems to be doing more and more care for me lately and he's not without his own health issues. Recovering from Cancer, lung problems and diabetes etc. But we are just getting by at the moment. Worried about our future though. You just have to try and find the strength every day to continue with your struggles as I'm sure most people with health issues and disabilities do. I think that we take it for granted that we work hard all our lives and pay into a system that we expect to support us if and when needed to find it's not that straight forward and that help is very often a struggle to get. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this with us @Star1. It shows you are really brave and strong. It can take a lot of courage to open up when struggling. 

It sounds really difficult that you are still in pain and this is affecting your sleep and this means you are really tired and struggling with your mental health.

Are you able to talk to the people who gave you the nortriptyline? I think they would be best placed to support you in terms of pain relief. 

With regard to your mental health, would you feel comfortable sharing a little more with us about what this looks like for you at the moment?

We are here for you and listening to you if you would like to share more with us. As strong as you are, you don't have to face this, or anything else, alone if you don't want to 
    <3 

Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Star1 said:
    Hi Hannah
    I'm on nortriptyline at night. Tried a few other drugs but we're no good. Still in pain though. Don't sleep much because of it. Just so tired all the time. Didn't think I would feel this old and unwell in my 50's. I know that there are people who are worse off, so try to carry on but it does affect your mental health too. My husband seems to be doing more and more care for me lately and he's not without his own health issues. Recovering from Cancer, lung problems and diabetes etc. But we are just getting by at the moment. Worried about our future though. You just have to try and find the strength every day to continue with your struggles as I'm sure most people with health issues and disabilities do. I think that we take it for granted that we work hard all our lives and pay into a system that we expect to support us if and when needed to find it's not that straight forward and that help is very often a struggle to get. 

Hello @Star1

I'm so sorry to hear you've been worrying. We are always here if you need to talk, vent or would like advice on a service. Hopefully your GP may be able to recommend something else? Keeping my fingers crossed they can, so you are in less pain and can sleep better. 

If you don't feel comfortable talking about your mental health you can always speak to your GP, and I know it can be hard getting a GP appointment. So, I'm just leaving this link to the NHS website with information and how to refer yourself, if you feel it's a route you'd like to take.

You have got the strength; it was very brave to join and talk in our community <3 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.