Wet room — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wet room

Options
Pluto85
Pluto85 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi

Not sure who to really turn too. I have had to move due to a bad neighbour. I have several physical disabilities and mental health, My last property was adapted with a wet room with a raised toilet. Believe in around 2010. Iv have since moved to a new property identical layout. They have offered me a wet room but will not replace the toilet to a high rise one. They have given me a toilet seat raiser to make the seat higher. I’m really disappointed as my toilet was perfect in my last property. They say they have met my needs. Iv even offered to pay for the toilet myself which she won’t be seeing her manger for weeks can’t get a date or time yet. This is holding up my wet room being installed and not being able to bathe. I’m feeling so low as Iv been trying to start over again and had nothing but problems. Please could I get some advice. I’m sorry for the long message.

Best wishes 

Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Pluto85 :) There's no need to apologise at all!

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been offered the adaption you were hoping for. I can imagine that'd feel really frustrating.
     Iv even offered to pay for the toilet myself which she won’t be seeing her manger for weeks can’t get a date or time yet. 
    Just to check, when you say 'she', who are you referring to?

Is there anything you could do while this is being sorted to help you bathe?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Pluto85
    Options
    Hi Tori_Scope thank you so much for the warm welcome 😊 when I say ‘she’ I meant the occupational therapist. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @Pluto85. It is the very least you deserve. 

Thanks for clarifying this for us. Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything to support you. 

This sounds like a really difficult time. Whilst I, unfortunately, don't know the answer to your question I am hoping someone can help.

My instinct asks if there is anyone else you could pay for the toilet. However, I am not sure if this is a potential route or not. 

I mainly wanted to respond to let you know I have seen your response and I hear you. We are all here for you and listening to you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Pluto85
    Options
    Thank you for responding just really hope there is someone who can advise me
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Pluto85 thanks for explaining things that's really helpful :)

I wonder if an advocacy service, like VoiceAbility or POhWER may be able to help make sure your voice is heard?

If you are not satisfied with the service you're receiving from your OT or local authority, you might want to look into getting support from the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman.

Let us know if we're able to help any further.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.