Christmas present equality — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Christmas present equality

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,820 Disability Gamechanger
I often have this issue when buying Christmas presents, that I will have spent more on one person so have to make it up for everyone else. Then inevitably someone else will come out on top so I have to buy even more presents for the others. 

With the obvious proviso that you will probably tend to spend more money on those closer to you. Do you try to spend the same amount of money on people who are of equal standing with you (e.g. if you have more than 1 children, siblings, parents etc.)?

I know it is not about money (just getting that out the way before someone brings it up) but I like to try to make it equal.

What about you? Are you happy spending £5 on one child and £100 on your other child? Or do you try to make it equal?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I try and make it equal not to the last penny but close to few pounds 

I do this from personal experience as seen the upset it can cause if someone gets lot less than others as you say its not about money but it makes the recipient think they are less cared about 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I try to make it as equal as possible, but I do have a few birthdays around Christmas so sometimes one will get less as they've asked to have something a little bigger on their birthday. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,662 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have to agree with making it equal, like my grand children, I've  done it so no one feels they've got less. That wouldn't really be fair. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,730 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As far as the grandkids go they get exactly the same in cash (way too much but SM spoils them) the kids (in their 30's now) get cash, we buy a couple of friends token gifts, and I spoil sm, but I absolutely refuse to allow anyone to buy me anything (same for my birthday) I haven't had an xmas present for about 30 years now.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• life
    life Community member Posts: 527 Pioneering
    Options
    I'm all for not giving gifts and not receiving them. Equal. If I was to give gifts it would be money and all the same amount. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,721 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I give money to my eldest 2, with a few presents to open for my eldest daughter and her partner. My youngest has presents instead of money because she just would appreciate money. They all get equal amounts.
    I do tend to spoil my grandson but i'm allowed to do that. My grand daughter will only be 5 months this year so not as much for her but she hasn't been forgotten!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Binky1234
    Binky1234 Community member Posts: 408 Pioneering
    Options
    My kids and daughter in law get the same amount of money.  Son's boyfriend will get £30.00 as he has only being going with him for a few months, daughter in law is basically like a daughter been in family since she was 14 and since I have only had boys and since my youngest boy is gay I will only have the one daughter in law. 

I intend on spoiling my daughter in law as us girls need to stick together ❤ at least I can't be accused of having favourites, my poor MIL has 3 DIL and I see the work she does to make sure we're all the same and if she does have a favourite she has never let it show.

Grandson I admit I have went overboard this year not even going to add it up. That's the trouble with online shopping.

Hubby will get his usual Glayva, Brocksman gin, slippers and long johns.

Hubby will get me my usual perfume, sparkling wine, chocolates and new pyjamas. Of course I will guide him in his choices lol

Fur baby will have his pressies under the tree also.
    Knowing When to walk away is Wisdom, being able is courage, walking away with your head held high is dignity.
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    Options
    I try to buy presents/give money of equal value to within a couple of pounds if possible but I don't stress about it.  Except for my grandson, he gets more until he's 18 and then he'll get the same as the other adults. 

OH and myself get a set amount of cash to buy something we want.
  • creamcrackered
    creamcrackered Scope Member Posts: 38 Courageous
    Options
    For me I don't have many to buy for as I stopped giving to friends a long time ago as it all got too expensive. I try to spend £30-50 for family members but it depends what I find. Sometimes I spend more or less because I just know the person will love that particular something I've found.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I do try to spend about the same amount on each family member, but we don't tend to do anything too expensive these days :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.