Christmas Alone- How do people cope? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Christmas Alone- How do people cope?

Options
Dont_Dis_My_Ability
Dont_Dis_My_Ability Community member Posts: 8 Connected
edited November 2022 in Coffee lounge
So we are 5 weeks away from Christmas and at this point any invite would be out of pity. I’m now coming to terms with the fact I’m going to be alone and just want to hear how people cope and stuff. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @ Dont _Dis_My_Ability, it's not easy to be alone at Christmas, there's almost a stigma attached to being alone during festive times.

I know I'll be alone, as I'm confined to my
    bedroom. 
    My Agency Carers can barely cook so there won't be any festive food. 

I don't mind to be honest because for me it's important to celebrate the birth of Jesus with prayers and some carols. That's all, though of course it would be nice to have some company. 
    Everyone, including friends and family are busy with their own arrangements and I don't want to be viewed with pity. So I know how you feel. 

My only dilemma is :Should I send presents to people who never even said thank you last Christmas and never came to see me in the last year? 

• Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I`m alone nearly every Xmas and it doesn`t bother me in the least.  I`m not in the least bit religious so it means nothing to me, therefore I don`t celebrate Xmas.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,781 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Always difficult time for people who are on their own, anyone we know who will be we invite them to spend the day with us.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,498 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I spend last Christmas on my own as I was unwell with coronavirus @Dont_Dis_My_Ability. I realise that's a different situation to yours, but it was my first Christmas alone. 

I've written two community posts about this:
    Perhaps you'll find some of the tips helpful? 

There are usually some people around to chat to on the community on Christmas day :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,666 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've been alone on Christmas Day for the last 7 years.  I always found social events difficult though, so it didn't bother me much.  

I'm not a fan of Christmas, but in the earlier years I did try to do a more festive dinner and watch some festive TV etc...and be sure to text relatives on the day.

This year will be more difficult though.  My digestive issues have worsened to the point that I won't be able to stray from my standard basic meals.  I'm also not sure whether I'll be able to manage alternative TV viewing without triggering major anxiety (tried to watch a Xmas film on TV last week, bad idea!).  And above all I'm going to have to lie to relatives in thank-you notes to tell them that I'm 'fine' when I'm really not, to save the concern and/or pity from their side.  

In previous years I've gone for a short walk on Xmas afternoon, to get a bit of festive spirit from other peoples decorations, but I don't know whether that'll be manageable this year.
  • Amazonianup
    Amazonianup Community member Posts: 43 Connected
    Options
    I just treat it like a normal day and alone. OverlyAnxious when you said about the thank you notes it made me smile because today I had a lady ask me if I was okay and I said yeh. She then said that wasn't very convincing but I said I know she didn't want another answer anyway and I was trying to be polite. I didn't really feel like performing just to make her happy.  When I was rough sleeping I made out I was okay when I wasnt. I can't really be bothered to perform for other people's benefit I just don't a answer anymore. I won't go and tell them I'm unhappy but I refuse to play a happy performance to make others okay with me being how I am.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,698 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I spend last Christmas on my own as I was unwell with coronavirus @Dont_Dis_My_Ability. I realise that's a different situation to yours, but it was my first Christmas alone. 

I've written two community posts about this:
    Perhaps you'll find some of the tips helpful? 

There are usually some people around to chat to on the community on Christmas day :) 
    Were both these links meant to be the same @Tori_Scope?

I've spent many a Christmas alone and knowing others are with family etc does make it hard. I find ways to entertain myself. I usually play online games and there's such a lovely community feel on them as lots of people are in the same situation online that it is comforting and distracting enough! 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.