What is your opinion on smart meters — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What is your opinion on smart meters

Options
happyfella
happyfella Community member Posts: 489 Pioneering
edited November 2022 in Coffee lounge
We are due to have a smart meter fitted next month but my daughter is not keen. She has said wont they waste electricty with it being on all the time. Also, we had one previous with another supplier and we have told our new supplier that we have one fitted, but they have said because it is a different company, they need to fit a new smart meter.

i would like to know people's opinions.
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,397 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have smart meters in my house and i had them where i lived before. My daughter also has them. They are not pre-payment meters and i pay by DD, same as my daughter. Never had any problems and neither has she.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Never had any issues with mine personally I don't even look at it just leave it plugged in and facing wall so I'm not obsessed with checking it everytime I use any energy 

Mine isn't pre payment 
  • happyfella
    happyfella Community member Posts: 489 Pioneering
    Options
    not sure why people are saying pre-meter. We pay by direct debit. what i want to know is, with electricity prices going up, does a smart metre use a lot of electricity. People say they are just another way to help energy companies to get your readings instead of them coming out to read your meter. just wondering what are the benefits of having one
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,397 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    not sure why people are saying pre-meter. We pay by direct debit. what i want to know is, with electricity prices going up, does a smart metre use a lot of electricity. People say they are just another way to help energy companies to get your readings instead of them coming out to read your meter. just wondering what are the benefits of having one

To be fair you didn't say which meter you were having and smart meters can be pre-payment too. It uses very little electric. The benefits for me is not having to send meter readings or having people coming to read the meters. Readings are done automatically each month.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Binky1234
    Binky1234 Community member Posts: 408 Pioneering
    Options
    Never had a smart meter before moving to our new house last year and as far as I can see is there is no con's, only positives imo.

I don't need to talk or send in readings anymore.
    I also have the app that is also linked to smart meter/supplier and its all there, all updated every 30 minutes and no hidden surprises.

I see what the solar panels export, I see what we use, I see where we can cut down and I like that in all honesty.

I no longer use tumble dryer nearly as much as I used to, nor do I run full baths only to bathe in them for 5 minutes, i always now make sure dishwasher is full before switching it on stuff like that.

I think since having a smart meter for us we seem to be more savvy (only took us 50 odd years)  or as the younger generation would say more environmental friendly 🌎 😃

We changed supplier as soon as we could as we were tied in for the 1st 12 months living here but when we did change we never needed a new meter, maybe cos its a new build I don't know.

What I like is I see what we are spending and I have also down loaded the app as it makes things easier for myself as I'm not very good at communicating on the phone and can find it difficult to say what I mean tbh

I have attached screenshots for you to see what I mean.
    Knowing When to walk away is Wisdom, being able is courage, walking away with your head held high is dignity.
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 20,473 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I am having one fitted on Wednesday. If I agreed got a better tariff.
  • stay_positive
    stay_positive Community member Posts: 241 Pioneering
    Options
    We have been harassed to have them , but I don't want them on my property , I don't trust them and please note that is just my opinion but I fully believe what I am about to say , I don't think they are healthy and believe they can cause health issues , I won't go into it because people need to do their own research .
    We have the old style prepaid meters and when I was diagnosed with womb cancer in December last year MacMillan said we could ask our provider to give us a better tariff as people with cancer get cold more easily , my husband phoned the provider and all went well , they said yes we can put you on a lower tariff , but first you have to have smart meters fitters . This for us made us realise that there is some agenda for having them fitted and to blackmail a cancer patient is vile . 
    As soon as this energy war is over we will be changing providers , we can't change at the moment because of the energy war .

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.