Autistic teen .....HELP!!!! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Autistic teen .....HELP!!!!

Options
samp01
samp01 Scope Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi All, I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any groups or books that can offer advice for parents of teenage autistic girls?. My daughter is 14 and i just don't recognise her anymore and to be honest I just want to know if this is 'normal' and how to support her the best I can. Thanks in advance 🙂
Tagged:

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @samp01

I would say it actually is normal, Autism or no Autism, for a 14-year-old girl to change from how you've known them. It's actually quite common. I don't have children myself, but I am a godmother and remember the teenage years for them well. I would arm yourself with her favourite snacks and be prepared to drop everything at a moment's notice to listen. 

There's a brilliant organisation called the National Autistic Society which has lots of advice and support. As well as the Autistic Girls Network, they have a great book recommendation list.

I hope this helps :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @samp01 I'm an autistic woman but wasn't diagnosed until I was an adult. However I remember my teenage years well - I was a total nightmare and it was a really really hard time for me. I felt like I was being torn apart inside and couldn't control myself very well. 
    Lots of girls don't tend to get diagnosed until teenage years and apparently the influx of hormones mixed with higher demands on older children (managing school, timetables, friendships, changes to body) can make it harder to mask, making us seem "more autistic".

Plus being a teenager generally sucks and they're all monsters! lol

My top tips would be:
    Meet anger with kindness. She doesn't know why she's so frustrated and the two of you getting into an argument about tone, attitude etc, will make it worse not better. I promise you, from my own experience, she won't mean it. I was always being told my 'tone' was off or I was shouting and it was very confusing as I really didn't realise I was. 
    Cut back on any extra demands: bad behaviour is usually a sign that something is wrong or they want more time and attention. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.