Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Hi, my name is dar2101! Suspended payments due to VPN

Options
dar2101
dar2101 Community member Posts: 22 Listener
Hi , I'm new here , my name is Darren and this is my first post but I'm really in need of some help please...........A few weeks ago my sister who is my carer , received a call stating my claim and money was being suspended because the device she was logging in on had a Spanish ip address. My sister then , after speaking with my eldest nephew , discovered he'd changed the ip address with an express vpn so he could play a game that was banned in the UK. They were asking for pictures of me , inside outside my flat holding my passport plus one by the street name. my sister informed them I don't have a passport , she then spoke to the doctor because I suffer with extreme mental health issues and the doctor wrote a letter informing them that she had video called me inside my apartment and had (previously some time before) seen my passport , she stated this as proof it was me she spoke to on the video call on my sisters phone , the to do task was taken down yesterday and now reinstated today with a message saying about me stating I don't have a passport but the doctor states they have seen it. They have continued to suspend my money without any grounds to , except a spanish ip address , its not under investigation and im just wondering if anyone can help or advise because this is really having a detrimental affect on my mental health , I've been suicidal in the past , took 5 overdoses and got sectioned twice , I've been stable (ish) in the most recent times , I even phone the uc which I really struggled with , explained the situation and was told my case manager would look at the situation and contact me by the end of last Thursday and still NOTHING from them aside this.
As far as ive been told , they cannot legally stop your payments if you are trying to co-operate with them , which I am and if im not under investigation , which I'm not.
any help would be greatly appreciated , many thanks 

Comments

• dar2101
    edited December 2022
    Options
    At the start of November I was told my claim was suspended due to logging in from a Spanish ip address , although my sister is my carer and it turns out my nephew changed the IP address through a vpn to play a game that was banned. They were then asking me for pictures of me with my passport outside my address holding newspaper with the date on etc. I was unable to maintain this due to not having a passport and suffering extremely with mental health , anxiety at times being so severe. 
    We made several calls to UC informing then of the details and situation to be told my case manager would look at the case and respond by the 11th December but then today they have now cancelled my claim stating that I was never entitled to uc , I am signed off indefinitely due to severe mental health issues , im on lwrca and now have to pay back an overpayment if approximately £50,000. Anyone have any advice or help please??
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Another member had this similar issue in regards to a VPN, see the discussion here:
    https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/584033#Comment_584033
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,054 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If it was me then I would have already contacted my local MP. https://www.parliament.uk/get-involved/contact-an-mp-or-lord/contact-your-mp/
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • dar2101
    Options
    Hi Poppy , I've checked out who my local MP is and now I am going to contact them. What can they do in regards to the situation?? 
    Thank you for your advice 
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Tell them exactly what’s happened, including your UC claim now being closed. They will contact DWP on your behalf and hopefully resolve this issue for you. Make sure you don’t leave anything out. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,922 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It can be surprising often when an MP tells the DWP to jump their reaction is "how high?" It can certainly do no harm to get your MP involved, welfare rights might also be able to help, I would say WR as opposed to CAB
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• dar2101
    Options
    Ok thank you so much for your advice , I definitely will try this 
  • dar2101
    Options
    I'm going sound very stupid here but what is WR and CAB?? im guessing WR is welfare rights???
  • Ollyoyster
    Ollyoyster Community member Posts: 348 Pioneering
    Options
    Yes and citezens advice bureau I do believe 🙂
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,506 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2022
    Options
    It's not stupid at all @dar2101. Welfare rights and Citizens Advice is right, yep :) How are you getting on with this?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • dar2101
    Options
    Ohhhhhh yesssss haha now I see 😂😂😂😂😂
    Well my sister rang the next day and they advised us to make a new claim @Tori_Scope , im not sure whether to do that and take it further , what do you think?? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I don't think starting a new claim is your answer here because if they think you were out of the country then you could have an overpayment for that claim. Did you contact your local MP as advised?
  • dar2101
    Options
    @poppy123456 , I haven't yet because when my sister rang they advised that to start the new claim , do you think I should hold off a new claim and contact the MP??? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I don't understand why they advised you to start a new claim. Your other claim closed when it wasn't supposed to have. My advice is to still contact your MP.
  • dar2101
    Options
    I have no idea , ill take your advice @poppy123456 , thank you 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2022
    Options
    How are you feeling about taking Poppy's advice @dar2101? We are here for you and listening to you if you would like to share more with us or any further support. 

Also, you are welcome. It is the very least you deserve, we are all here for you to support you and listen to you.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can do to help. Take care for now and we will look forward to, hopefully, hearing from you again soon  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • dar2101
    Options
    Hi , yes im going to take the advice and contact the local MP because my claim genuinely shouldn't have been closed , I will keep people upto date with it all.
    Thank you 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @dar2101. Good luck taking the advice. 

I am glad you believe in following what you need. Keep pushing forwards  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Spoonbill
    Spoonbill Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    Options
    Personally, I think your sister should seek professional advice since presumably she's registered as responsible for your claim. An an unprofessional, however, that sounds an incredibly flimsy and - I suspect - illegal basis for going directly to suspension, so personally I'd be fairly confident that a challenge will get it sorted eventually.
    Assuming your sister is able to deal with it and make sure you're able to keep going in the meantime, FWIW I'd be more concerned with you looking after yourself. If you need any pointers to crisis support, please ask and I'm sure someone here will be able to help you find something suitable.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    dar2101 said:… , they cannot legally stop your payments if you are trying to co-operate with them , which I am and if im not under investigation , which I'm not.
    A benefit claim can be suspended while DWP carry out checks on whether the claim is being checked.

There have been other threads about claims being suspended because the claimant has used a VPN. Do you have any other form of photo ID you could use.

(The absurd thing is that if you don’t have a passport you clearly can’t have been in Spain!)
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.