Meltdowns — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Meltdowns

Stupid
Stupid Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Today I think I had a meltdown or it maybe something else. I had to ring housing office and the guy was rude and wasn't listening to me. I felt useless after the phone call that I took my keyboard and smashed it. I kept hitting it of the bed-frame, keys came flying off and I completely broke the board in to pieces. I then smashed a steam mop and then the dehumidifier.  Is this a autistic meltdown, as this is major compared to others i have had. I did what I normally do and went to bed as I don't know how else to deal with me when I am like this.
I only been diagnosed with autism for less than 2 years and still trying to understand it.  I don't have help with my autism and the mental health team states they cant help me with autism as they are not trained. I am trying to understand everything on my own. I don't direct my anger at people its usually breaking things and throwing things while in the flat by myself. Any help, ideas or direction to other services would be appreciated.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I would speak to your gp in the first instance 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Good morning @Stupid wish you'd change the name tho - doesn't seam right calling you that.
    Welcome to our great group, Janer is right you can talk to your gp about it.
    I also know there is help out there for anger management have a look to see if you can find any books on the subject it may help. It is something that can happen with autism, built up frustration or not knowing how to handle situations or your feelings. 
    When your ready have a look around the site, we have lots going on and i'm sure you will find other members that can help you. Any problems just ask someone is bound to be online to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Campaigns Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2022
    Welcome to the community @Stupid :) 

I'd agree with the others that it might be a good idea to speak to someone about this. Even if the mental health team don't they're the right people to support you, there might be other kinds of support you could access. 

The National Autistic Society may also be able to help. They have some online information on meltdowns and autism that you might like to read, alongside a personal story from Sumita Majumdar.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Stupid
    Stupid Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks for the replies. I have had so much negativity from the mental health teams that i no longer trust the NHS. I would not dare to mention what i have said on here as they will classed me as violent, even though my anger/frustrations was on my belonging that i bought and not directed at any persons. Don't get me wrong I know there is good in the NHS but I only had this a small amount of time.  I have an appointment with the GP in 2 weeks but I already know what he will say.  I now going from shock and disbelief at what has happened to crying and feeling depressed.  The one thing I have noticed it that i stop eating for about 4 days, and now back to overeating. I wished i never been diagnosed as I am questioning all my life and don't know how to deal with it and feel completely lost and don't know who i am anymore.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Bless you @Stupid your bound to feel like this darling, at least you.ve had a diagnosis and you can work on that.
    Honestly there is lots of reading matter out there on lots of things/ways for you to handle some of your feelings,
    please try and have trust in the NHS team, i know they are very busy but they will help you i'm sure, anger is part of this as you are learning more about how you react to things. 
  • Alex_Scope
    Alex_Scope Posts: 7,562 Scope online community team
    Hello @Stupid it's good to hear that you have an appointment soon, although I understand that trusting mental health team is difficult, because you've been let down in the past.

What were the good things about the NHS you've experienced?

Everything that's happening feels a lot harder to manage without support, and please know you're not alone in this feeling. That's why it's good to talk about it, and ask for help from people who are trained to support you.

If you can, speak to your GP, or even a different GP if you prefer, and explain that you are worried about feeling lost or not managing things day to day. 

The National Autistic Society does have an article that explores autism and eating difficulties, if that's something you'd like to read. If you're worried about your eating patterns you can get in touch with Beat by phone or email.

You might like to visit Autism Support, it's a community like this one, where you can talk to other people with autism, who might be going through similar things. 

If you're having a difficult time mentally, you can text 'SHOUT' to 85258 anytime for free, confidential support. You can also visit Mind's website for information and support on autism and mental health.

If you feel we can support you further, please reach out and ask, and we'll do what we can to help :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.