I need my own space-help! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I need my own space-help!

Options
monov21
monov21 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello,
I live in Lambeth, and I am currently on the housing register. I live at home with my mother but really desire my own space as our relationship is strained and I now believe it is effecting my overall wellbeing and mental health.
The waitlist in Lambeth council is over 8 years. I’ve been bidding for 3 years now and with low priority I have no chance of securing a council home for myself any time soon. Im 32 now.
My only option I know of is to rent privately however I cannot afford to do so. Studio or 1 bedroom flats around London is very expensive and would take up majority of my salary. What options or advice would you all recommend for someone in my situation.
As I’m older I do not want flatmates,

Comments

• Luchia
    Luchia Community member Posts: 282 Pioneering
    Options
    Unfortunately without priority the wait list can be very long if you get an offer at all, have you given you a banding?
    Do you have any disabilities? Sorry to ask but this can make a big difference in banding.

If the council have decided you are suitable housed(within their standards) then it might be an idea to look a little further out of London if that’s possible at all.

Due to Right To Buy the councils have lost a huge amount of housing stock and no where near enough to been built to compensate for this so without Priority most people won’t get an offer of a property 
  • Luchia
    Luchia Community member Posts: 282 Pioneering
    Options
    Oh forgot to add, I know your not overly fond of the idea but it might be worth looking for a house share with people around your age, usually there’s an interview with the current tenants involved so you would be able to meet them and see how you get along 
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 612 Pioneering
    Options
    I went on the housing register when I was 18 and bidded everyweek for a property, however becuase I was male and living with my step dad I wasn't seen as a priority and never got a property or came close. I am 31 now and live on my own in supported accomodation as I have Autism, Schizophrenia, ADHD and very bad crohn's disease. I now live in my own flat that is fully furnished and funded by the council, I also get a support worker that visits me and takes me shopping or sorts anything out for me.

I would suggest researching other housing options as waiting for a council home is near impossible at the moment unless you want to wait like 30 years or have a priority banding.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.