Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections. As a result, we may have to moderate any comments that could be seen to influence other's votes.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP has been a nightmare.

Options
wizboque
wizboque Community member Posts: 24 Connected
So, I received PIP for maybe a year and a half and was awarded to help with the difficulties I have with Autism.

When I initially applied my application was declined but I appealed on the grounds that the assessor lied in her report about my medication. I never actually saw the letter with a breakdown of points but the appeal was successful and I had a small payment come into my bank and every month thereafter.

It wasn't until I applied for an SMI form for the council, which asked for a breakdown of points from PIP, that I finally saw what I was awarded for.

I felt like they hadn't captured how things affect me very well and as I'm still feeling the effects of covid-19 10 months on, I contacted them to tell them and they did an "unplanned intervention" which meant another assessment.

After speaking to SCOPE's helpline, I was advised to request a copy of the assessor's notes a week after the assessment, these arrived 2 weeks before the decision.

The assessment notes say things along the lines of "reports that he requires prompting to eat (etc.)" but I've been awarded 0 points for the actual category. This goes across every category aside from managing toilet needs because I said that I was fine with that. I was awarded 2 points for engaging others face to face.

The actual letter arrives and they say that I am no longer eligible for PIP despite still having 18 months until actually due for review. I am appealing the decision but they took my PIP away last month and I can not afford to live properly any more.

I've also been through the process of appealing for LCWRA which has just been exhausting but upon meeting me in person the tribunal voted in my favour, so that's good but I'm now in the limbo of waiting to see what happens now the tribunal is over.

I have an advocate working on my appeal but she seems a little... distracted. She didn't know that my PIP had already been taken off me which worries me about her appeal, I kept mentioning the assessment notes but she only seemed interested in the decision letter. I also asked her after the tribunal if I should tell PIP but she said no, I received the text message saying it should take 8 weeks, 10 days ago now.

I'm just worried I'm going to have to go through a whole new tribunal process, it's all so mentally exhausting. I know the medical evidence is a lot stronger this time, as they've sent my medical report, a letter from the long covid clinic, a letter from my support worker and a letter from my partner/carer but as the mental health practitioner at my GP said to me, "it's ridiculous how you can approach them with a pre-existing condition, provide more evidence and have it all taken away".

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,277 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There's always some risk when reporting a change of health condition. A worsening of condition doesn't automatically entitle you to more points for a higher award. Before reporting changes you should always get some expert advice.
    Although you had 18 months left on your award, any new decision made on the change of circumstances would overrule that award you have. This means that because the refused your claim then your PIP would stop.
    I agree with the person that's helping you with the MR/Tribunal process that you don't need the assessment report to request the MR or Tribunal. All this causes is a distraction to what you should be concentrating on. It's good that you have someone to help you too because so many people can't find an advice agency near them for help and support going forward.
    MR decision timescales for your PIP can take up to around 12 weeks, sometimes longer. Though the decision could be delayed because of Christmas and New year fast approaching.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.