How long roughly does it take to recieve DHP? are they likely to refuse? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How long roughly does it take to recieve DHP? are they likely to refuse?

Options
confusednewt
confusednewt Community member Posts: 27 Connected
Hi,

I applied for DHP with my local council today, as after my ex partner moved out and is refusing to pay towards the rent and bills despite us both being legally liable until may 2023 and having it in writing from landlord.
Little context - The landlord was kind and polite but said that either I have to keep chasing my ex each month (we barely speak so doubt this will happened and scared to be blocked), or pay the full amount (£875) myself otherwise it will fall on my guarantor which is my uncle so i dont think thats fair. I can't afford the full £875 pm as its more than my benefits.

I am panicking that I will default on the rent and bills as i barely have my own half as it is and become homeless. I've submitted all my evidence and bank details and benefits to the councils DHP and was surprised the application said at the end that they'll be in touch within 10 days?!

This seems incredibly fast, and a lot of my other referals/assessments/benefits have sometimes took months/years to secure. Is it really this fast? Are they likely to refuse you?

Thankyou, 
Newt

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Are you getting help with rent through UC or Housing Benefit? How much is the shortfall between the help you get and the rent you pay?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @confusednewt. Thanks for reaching out to us. I appreciate the courage it can take to reach out, especially when things are difficult for you.

I can see Calcotti has already responded to you. Please feel free to let us know a little more about your situation to enable us to hear you and support you the best we can.

Also, I am wondering, have you had any updates yet? Please feel free to keep us updated. We are all here for you and listening to you.

Take care for now and we will look forward to, hopefully, hearing from you again soon  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.