Festive Food! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Festive Food!

Options
JoOfVengerberg
JoOfVengerberg Scope Member Posts: 497 Pioneering
Hey everyone, I am going to be a nosy goose and pose the question: what are you planning to eat/make/snaffle all of at someone else's house for the festive season? :smiley:
she/her, PhD student (disability fiction + cure), cerebral palsy + fibro

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,832 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Turkey we only have it at xmas
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Mince pies, I love them 😍 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• JoOfVengerberg
    Options
    @leeCal I have been eating so many mince pies! The co-op luxury ones are buttery and delicious! @Sandy_123 do you have a secret to preventing turkey becoming dry? Every time I've had it that's happened to me :joy:
  • Sandy_123
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Yes I don't cook it lol. Morrosons mince pies are the best, not a fan of kiplins
  • JoOfVengerberg
    Options
    @Sandy_123 I've never had the Kipling ones, not sure I've had Morrisons either but I've been eating them since September haha
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I love Greggs mince pies but also make my own, as for Christmas I will eat as many pigs in blankets as you put on my plate.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Sandy_123
    Options
    Yes same here I have too, all this talk is making want to go warm a couple up
  • leeCal
    Options
    Unfortunately I’m on a strict diet still so I can’t eat my favourite Christmas foods yet. I like stollen as well.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• JoOfVengerberg
    Options
    @leeCal oh no! Sorry to hear that :disappointed:
  • leeCal
    Options
    @JoOfVengerberg, it’s okay, it’s a self imposed diet, it’s just a case of when I pick my time to break it. Perhaps Christmas Eve, as long as the floodgates don’t open and I start eating everything I can get my hands on 🤣

― Dalai Lama XIV

• JoOfVengerberg
    Options
    That's fair. I may have to bow out of this one. I find diet talk incredibly triggering (ex ED) sorry!
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    edited December 2022
    Options
    @JoOfVengerberg The secret of a juicy turkey is not to overcook it! They really don't take too long to cook, and if you brine it first (a very simple procedure) it will be extra juicy and delicious. You can get full instructions in Nigella's Christmas Cookery book. https://www.nigella.com/recipes/spiced-and-superjuicy-roast-turkey

Brining does make a difference.

The taste/smell that most reminds me of Xmas is cinnamon, but I have forgotten why!

• JoOfVengerberg
    Options
    Thanks @Steve_in_The_City ! I absolutely love Nigella and I really should build up my collection. The only festive book I've got is Nigel Slater's The Christmas Chronicles. I was thinking about dry brining duck for this go around. I have an entire jar of marmalade I need to use up and it seems logical to make a sauce to go with duck, though a couple years ago I roasted a chicken with lemons and that made the best gravy I've ever had. Still undecided but I need to get something soon so it's not sold out.
  • JoOfVengerberg
    Options
    Also, cinnamon is my favourite spice. I absolutely love it.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,563 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Pigs in blankets 
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,603 Pioneering
    Options
    @Sandy_123 I've never had the Kipling ones, not sure I've had Morrisons either but I've been eating them since September haha

I find Morrisons mince pies a little too spicy and underfilled - I prefer Lidl's offering
  • JoOfVengerberg
    Options
    Roasted brussels sprouts with bacon. 

Classic combo! I love adding chestnuts too!!
  • JoOfVengerberg
    Options
    Wibbles said:

I find Morrisons mince pies a little too spicy and underfilled - I prefer Lidl's offering

I don't have a Lidl close to me sadly, Aldi's the closest. I love their food.
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    Options
    Waitrose do a lovely cinnamon bun. I don't want to be a complete Xmas spoil sport, but I am not keen on Xmas pud or Xmas cake! I eat these buns year round 'cos a bun, like a dog, is just not for Xmas! I go the whole hog, split them in half, butter them in a way that my doctor would not approve of, and then I don't have to wish it was Xmas everyday, because it truly is.  
  • JoOfVengerberg
    Options
    Waitrose do a lovely cinnamon bun. I don't want to be a complete Xmas spoil sport, but I am not keen on Xmas pud or Xmas cake! I eat these buns year round 'cos a bun, like a dog, is just not for Xmas! I go the whole hog, split them in half, butter them in a way that my doctor would not approve of, and then I don't have to wish it was Xmas everyday, because it truly is.  

I'm not really keen on xmas pudding or cake either, mostly because so many of them have alcohol and I don't like the taste (and the cake is like a brick...) I should get back into baking really, though I'm not particularly good at it. Much more of a 'chuck things in a pot and see what happens' person than a precise baking person.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.