Festive Food! - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Festive Food!

Options
2»

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yule log for me! Because I am also not keen on Christmas pudding or cake @JoOfVengerberg.

Having said that, I have also seen some free-from-white chocolate and gingerbread pies advertised. I want to try and locate some if I can!  B)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 568 Pioneering
    Options
    @JoOfVengerberg Duck always goes down well. I haven't tried it with marmalade sauce and will look in to that one.

Waitrose do a lovely cinnamon bun. I don't want to be a complete Xmas spoil sport, but I am not keen on Xmas pud or Xmas cake! I eat these buns year round 'cos a bun, like a dog, is just not for Xmas! I go the whole hog, split them in half, butter them in a way that my doctor would not approve of, and then I don't have to wish it was Xmas everyday, because it truly is.  

I'm not really keen on xmas pudding or cake either, mostly because so many of them have alcohol and I don't like the taste (and the cake is like a brick...) I should get back into baking really, though I'm not particularly good at it. Much more of a 'chuck things in a pot and see what happens' person than a precise baking person.
    I'm not particularly good at baking either, but I bake bread regularly (not in a bread maker) and the results are very good. Bread making is part of my regular routine, so I don't really think about. I do use a table top mixer to knead the dough, otherwise it is too much like hard work. I make a couple of cakes every month, and I think the best way to describe them would be say they look different but taste nice!
  • JoOfVengerberg
    JoOfVengerberg Scope Member Posts: 497 Pioneering
    Options
    @Steve_in_The_City I haven't tried marmalade sauce either, I just have a jar of marmalade I don't know what to do with! I tend to just throw things together. Last year I made a sauce from a bottle of white wine, several oranges and herbs and it was delicious. I think having the marmalade as a base will help it along somewhat. I'm going to dry brine the duck with sea salt (because it's what I have, I don't really use table salt) juniper and rosemary, and see how it goes. I love experimenting in the kitchen :smiley:
    she/her, PhD student (disability fiction + cure), cerebral palsy + fibro
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Options
    @JoOfVengerberg I love experimenting in the kitchen, too. I Googled Duck with Marmalade Sauce and there were lots of links. I think you are a better cook than you are telling us! I have never had duck with marmalade myself, so can't comment. Two seasonings I do love are Smoked Sea Salt Flakes and Porcini Mushroom Powder. The powder seems expensive, but a little goes a long long way. I always put a pinch on top of a fried egg, it seems to transform the flavour. I also like Szechuan Peppercorns. 
  • JoOfVengerberg
    Options
    @JoOfVengerberg I love experimenting in the kitchen, too. I Googled Duck with Marmalade Sauce and there were lots of links. I think you are a better cook than you are telling us! I have never had duck with marmalade myself, so can't comment. Two seasonings I do love are Smoked Sea Salt Flakes and Porcini Mushroom Powder. The powder seems expensive, but a little goes a long long way. I always put a pinch on top of a fried egg, it seems to transform the flavour. I also like Szechuan Peppercorns. 

Ooh I love smoked salt too, haven't bought it in a while though. I've just recently started eating mushrooms, I hated them as a kid but find I don't mind them now as long as I cook them right. It's mostly a texture thing for me, but that powder sounds like an umami bomb. I need more Asian flavours I think, I use sriracha hot sauce with basically everything but I bet fish sauce and gochujang would add lots of depth to so many dishes!

For the Yule meal, I'm gonna stuff the duck with oranges and chestnuts too, and I thiiink I've got to the point where I've decided on duck fat roasties, parsnips and cavalo nero. I'll probably add more veggies as I go, they're honestly my favourite part of a meal :joy:
  • JoOfVengerberg
    Options

Duck with lots and lots of roasted veg, pigs in blankets, chestnuts etc. 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,959 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • JoOfVengerberg
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    That's looks yummy @JoOfVengerberg
    Thanks so much! It was really good, quite proud of myself :smiley:
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think you should be proud of yourself @JoOfVengerberg. It looks delicious  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Options
    @JoOfVengerberg I wish I could come and have Xmas lunch with you, 'cos I am sure it would be perfect! This year I am just going to have smoked salmon with radishes and homemade Melba toast to start. Then a fillet steak and oven chips because I really can't be bothered, now that I am by myself, to do sprouts, turkey and roasties. My neighbours who lives upstairs came down to visit me on Wednesday. I had a few Xmas bits and bobs for them, as I knew they were coming. But they brought down the full Xmas dinner. Turkey and all of the trimmings. I had never used my dining table before, it was just something to make my flat look lived in. But fortunately I had all I needed to lay the table and make it look beautiful. So I managed to get a proper Xmas dinner after all, without cooking. They even did the washing up! I was one happy bunny. After they left I thought the meaning of Xmas is to make things nice for other people.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Very nice @JoOfVengerberg i hope you enjoyed your day.
    That was a lovely thing that your neighbours did for you @Steve_in_The_City so glad you have good folk to look out for you. x
    ps your own Christmas dinner day meal sounds great to me x

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.