Is Caroling a thing of the past? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is Caroling a thing of the past?

Options
Hannah_Alumni
Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
edited August 2023 in Coffee lounge

Watching some of the older Christmas movies and TV specials, people were going door to door Christmas caroling and I vaguely remember it happening when I was a child in the 90’s. Now, I feel it’s become a thing of the past. 

I can understand why, one of the main reasons being security, but does anyone miss it? Does or did anyone here go caroling? 

Would love to know your thoughts :)

Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Some people still go Caroling, I’ve heard them.

when my children were young I took them around our neighbourhood on Christmas Eve to do caroling. That was twenty five years ago and they made £12 between them, they were overjoyed not to mention stuffed with free mince pies and cakes. They had a great time apart from two odd people who made them sing two carols and then gave them a penny! Talk about grinches. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,710 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Definitely not 
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,878 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We haven't had carollers in years, definitely seems to be a thing of the past, i may be grinchy on here but i used to love seeing the little ones sing, i bet most people these days wouldn't answer the door, which is sad
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,723 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No one comes round now, mainly you get some in towns in a group
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I always used to go as a child loved it we just used to do our own street and only did the ones we knew the owners but used to get lots of treats and money 

Some people see it as begging which is sad 

Cant remember how long it's been since I saw any 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I haven't heard any in years @leeCal and that includes before Covid. It is such a shame. 
    They definitely were Grinches! 

@Grinchy I wondered with the added security risk, I think my grandmother would love carolers at her door, but with how dark it gets or if she was on her own, she wouldn't answer. 

@janer1967 Almost like trick or treating, some people see that as begging. I think it'd be nice to visit people caroling who signed up for it. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.