Can we normalize still living with family when we are adults — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can we normalize still living with family when we are adults

Options
Tammyjane33
Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
Is there still a stigma about living with parents /family when you are an adult? I don't see anything wrong with this because everyones circumstances are different. 

Comments

• Binky1234
    Binky1234 Community member Posts: 408 Pioneering
    Options
    Don't see anything wrong with it tbh.

My eldest son moved out when he was 28 as he was at Uni plus saving for a house.

Every family is different and its basically what works for you.
    Knowing When to walk away is Wisdom, being able is courage, walking away with your head held high is dignity.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,836 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My son is still at home in his early 20s I don't think anything wrong with it
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I had a grown up child living at home until he was thirty three, I called time on it as it was interfering with my normal life. He now lives independently, not very well but at least he’s his own boss in the world and can make his own rules to live by. Loneliness is probably his biggest problem, that along with finding affordable flats from time to time. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Unfortunately it is becoming more popular with it being so expensive to start out 

When it was more affordable kids moved out and lived on their own now they tend to stay with parents until they are ready to settle down with a partner 

There is also shortage of affordable housing and single and young adults are not a priority for social housing 

• Luchia
    Luchia Community member Posts: 278 Pioneering
    Options
    I moved into my own home when I was 18 and recently moved into a lovely bungalow a few weeks ago(now 35) I wanted my own space so that worked for me when I was 18 but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with people still living at home for longer if the situation is needed or works for them 
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 581 Pioneering
    Options
    I only just moved out last year when I was 30 after finally being given my own flat to live in, I think its more normal to be at home with parents for longer these days as its impossible to get your own place to live unless you can work and rent privatley. It took me 12 years to find my own place after I originally went on the council list at 18, but becuase I'm single and male I wasn't a priority. I am so lucky now though as I live in supported accomodation (my own flat) and have a support worker who visits twice a week and takes me shopping or any other appointments.

I am now only just learning how to be independant, as I would rely on everything from family. The hardest thing I am learning is how to budget and manage money as I pay for everything now its a challenge but I am getting there.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I still live with my family!  <3
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,571 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I still live with family 
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 20,432 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think it is whatever suits each person. Also with Cost of Living being so expensive probably need to.
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,864 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I dont see a problem with it, our son is in his early twenties, he is living in a caravan park while he works there, but will be back in november to live with us, we enjoy having him here
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 7,335 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

I was married young after my marriage broke down after 26 years, I had to go back to my mums until I got my own place again.
    I think it’s down to each person and what suits them.
    Also money probably has a big part in  people having to stay with parents or family.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,836 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Alot of families live together through culture  I personally think its good.  1 set of bills, support also. My son lives with me and he's an adult. 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm at home with the parents, it is expensive to start out and I was very unwell during my 20's and needed that additional support.
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.