New here looking for advice :-) 2.5 year old autistic toddler who likely also has ADHD — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New here looking for advice :-) 2.5 year old autistic toddler who likely also has ADHD

Options
KatiMol
KatiMol Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi guys. I've just registered today as I'm worried about my sister's well being. She has a 2.5 year old autistic toddler who likely also has ADHD. She has another older 8yo and is a single mum. My youngest niece attends nursery for 3 hours every morning, which is nowhere near what she needs. She is unbelievably hard work at home. I feel so bad for my sister because she's at breaking point. Her daughter doesn't sleep, is non verbal so struggles with communication and is just so destructive in the house. She feels like she has no one to turn to for help. Her older daughter gets no time from mum because little sister takes every minute up, my sister is drained and depressed. Where can she get help...can she ask for more childcare?? Can she get anything to help her daughter sleep? Any advice would be appreciated :) 
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I would suggest talking to her gp and get a referral to social services 

You can also self refer for a care needs assessment on the gov website but 'm not sure if this is just for adults 

She maybe eligible to claim dla for her child if she can evidence she needs significantly more care than a child her age without a disability 

The staff at her nursery would also be able to advise on best options 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @KatiMolThanks for reaching out to us. I can hear that things are particularly difficult for your sister at the moment and you are concerned about her.

Unfortunately, most of the funding is for 3-4-year-olds, as the Government website highlights. However, dependent on your sister's more specific circumstances, she may also be eligible for childcare for her 2-year-old. You can find more information about that here.

Additionally, I have noticed that you haven't mentioned if your sister needs childcare to be funded or can also be self-funded. Of course, there are even more options if childcare can be self-funded. Through childminders etc. 

Outside of this, I am wondering if your sister is able to access enabler/respite support based on the SEND needs through the local authority. Thankfully, @janer1967 social support can also be for children but this would need to be dealt with through communication with the local authority. Similarly, does your sister have any friends or family that might be able to share the childcare?

In terms of your sister's daughter not sleeping, it might be worth looking into these resources:

I hope these resources are, at least, semi-helpful. Please let us know how your sister gets on with this support. 

You have also mentioned that your sister is drained and depressed. Does she have support in place for her mental health and well-being at the moment, such as through a GP?

Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything else to help. We are all here for you and listening to you  :)

Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.