If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New to PIP - Recently Applied and have some questions

Options
sam02
sam02 Scope Member Posts: 5 Listener
edited December 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi. I submitted my online application a coupe of weeks ago, along with copies of all the disability evidence I have in my possession.

I understand it can take up to 6 months before a final decision is made.

However, I wonder what is happening now?

-Will just 1 assessor be reviewing my application, or will it be many?
-What do they do between now and my person to person assessment?
-Will they be contacting all of the healthcare professionals who have dealt with me for further information?
-Will they be looking for reasons to deny giving me an award?

I have so many questions and uncertainties

Comments

• durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,884 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    1. I think more assesses will be looking into your assessment.
    2.They will have to wait for your application and read through it. Also there are other people who need theirs looking at too. 
    3. They will just be contacting the healthcare professionals that they need for the information they need don't worry as they aren't allowed to contact everyone if it's not necessary.
    4. Unfortunately yes because there's a lot of people know days who claim but don't actually need it. 
  • sam02
    sam02 Scope Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    1. I think more assesses will be looking into your assessment.
    2.They will have to wait for your application and read through it. Also there are other people who need theirs looking at too. 
    3. They will just be contacting the healthcare professionals that they need for the information they need don't worry as they aren't allowed to contact everyone if it's not necessary.
    4. Unfortunately yes because there's a lot of people know days who claim but don't actually need it. 
    -So when I get my face-to-face assessment, it will be a different person that the people who reviewed my application?
    -I understand that it can take 6 months, and I am well aware there is a lot of other people also waiting, so I am ok being patient
    -Are they allowed to look at my medical record on the NHS system?
    -People trying to claim who do not need is something I am very aware of. I am claiming because I have multiple physical and psychological disabilities/impairments, and believe I have the right to at the very least make a claim. Whether I am successful or not is irrelevant at this point. I just want a fair assessment, and I will take it from their.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,884 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes I think so 
    no

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The claim is reviewed at DWP and will normally referred to an assessment provider. The assessment provider will contact you to make an appointment (there may be a long delay for this). Following the assessment the assessor sends a report to DWP, this is usually issued the same day. It is then passed to a Decision Maker who will look at all the information and make a decision, this can take up to 12 weeks after the assessment. 

They don’t usually contact any of your health professionals although on the form you asked whether or not you allow them to do so. You should assume that the only information they have is what you send them.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • durhamjaide2001
    Options
    calcotti said:
    The claim is reviewed at DWP and will normally referred to an assessment provider. The assessment provider will contact you to make an appointment (there may be a long delay for this). Following the assessment the assessor sends a report to DWP, this is usually issued the same day. It is then passed to a Decision Maker who will look at all the information and make a decision, this can take up to 12 weeks after the assessment. 

They don’t usually contact any of your health professionals although on the form you asked whether or not you allow them to do so. You should assume that the only information they have is what you send them.
    Thanks for backing me up 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.