Physical and mental health problems — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Physical and mental health problems

Options
barb68
barb68 Community member Posts: 16 Listener
Just wondered if there is anyone out there  who has had to deal with both.  I was brought up and educated to 'hold it all together', don't complain and put others first.

Turns out I have MS, probably a physical result of Complex PTSD (traumatic chiildhood experience).
That's bit heavy for Xmas messages but I would love to connect with anybody who knows themselves that well!

Sorry if I've disturbed some people.

Love,  Barbara

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Feel free to express yourself you won't be judged 

Several members suffer from both physical and mental health issues you are not alone 

Join in on the community and ask any questions you have 
  • barb68
    Options
    Thankyou Janet

I hope to make contact with them!

Barbara
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, you're certainly not the only one dealing with both @barb68 :) 

I don't want to put too much pressure on anyone by tagging them here, but I hope that some other members with experience of this will see and respond to your post soon. 

You may also be interested in reading a post I put up about whether we should drop the distinction between physical and mental health
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Puja
    Puja Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 104 Courageous
    Options
    I also have both and neurodivergent too! 
    So full house 😂 

My Pronouns are (She/Her & They/Them)

I have lived experience of ND conditions, chronic pain, mental health & well-being, PIP, ESA, employment and benefits. 

😊 Why not fundraise for SCOPE for free while you shop online 💜💛 🎅🏻 💷💸 🍯💻 📱🛒 🛍️ 📦 

SCOPE ebay shop (online)
  • barb68
    Options
    Hi Puja!  Thanks for message.  Before I say more, please can explain your neurodivergent condition!   Many thanks for that.

Barbara
  • barb68
    Options
    I forgot the.   ?    Sorry!  don't want it to look like a demand!

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I will tag @Puja in this for you @barb68 just to increase your chances of receiving a response  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Puja
    Puja Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 104 Courageous
    Options
    barb68 said:
    Hi Puja!  Thanks for message.  Before I say more, please can explain your neurodivergent condition!   Many thanks for that.

Barbara
    Hi  Barbara
    nice to meet you umm 
    I can’t really explain them but it means my brain is not neurotypical, aka ‘normal’ it work’s differently….but something that’s not an acquired illness.

there are many different neurodivergent conditions actually. 
    I have ADHD & Autism and possibly others, but I am late diagnosed so its hard to know. 

If you search on nhs, or youtube you can learn more about them 🙂 hope that helps explain it? 

Thanks
    Puja 
    My Pronouns are (She/Her & They/Them)

I have lived experience of ND conditions, chronic pain, mental health & well-being, PIP, ESA, employment and benefits. 

😊 Why not fundraise for SCOPE for free while you shop online 💜💛 🎅🏻 💷💸 🍯💻 📱🛒 🛍️ 📦 

SCOPE ebay shop (online)
  • barb68
    Options
    Thank you Puja!  It's cos that was a new term to me and I didn't want to get it wrong.   And what is your physical disability that you must also contend with?   And what are the most annoying things people ask/don't ask you?

And is Puja your given name?  I ask cos I used to be very involved with Buddhist community and so I used to go to pujas!    Lovely name.

Barbara

PS I'm 68 and retired and had to work out my mental probs myself because I've always been good at putting on a good front and not collapsing!
  • Shaola100
    Shaola100 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Options
    Hi Barbara
    I too have mental and physical health problems. It can be very difficult can't it. 

• barb68
    Options
     With me,  it took many years to identify.  I grew up having to hold myself up and walk several lines.   So I always behaved very sensibly if I could, but a real people pleaser.  I didn't fall apart and need 'sectioning' but even when offered help I now realise I refused it because my body spoke for me and told me I could not manage the distance and travel.  Because I've had MS (relatively mildly) since I was 21.
    Turned out I've been dealing with Complex PTSD (that's PTSD from childhood trauma) all my life and I've been paying for Gestalt therapy for last 6 years which has sorted out so many of my mental issue.

But it can be a lonely life dealing with these private inexplicable problems can't it?  What are your issues, if you don't mind saying.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • barb68
    Options
    OK, I am very sorry for asking and hope it did not distress you in any way.

Barbara
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @barb68

It can be lonely with health issues. I think a lot of people don't understand until it happens to them. Which is a catch 22 because you don't wish it on other people. 

I'm so glad to hear you have gone for therapy and it's helped you a lot. I've not had Gestalt Therapy before, been through Cognitive Behaviour Therapy myself. What do you find the most beneficial about your sessions? If you don't mind me asking :)
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • barb68
    Options
    I'll have to think about it, but off the top of my head, it's been the kindness and understanding/acceptance of how (in my case) the very early emotional neglect. led to a definite physical condition (MS).
    Gestalt is about making the link between physical and psychological.

Barbara
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    Options
    That sounds like it is very beneficial :) I'm glad you have that kindness and understanding <3 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • barb68
    Options
    Dear Ada

Many thanks for your email.  You have spoken lots in this email and I really value that!
    Hope to speak again sometime.

Barbara x

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.