Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Cold weather payment

Options
MadCow1
MadCow1 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
Hi,
 just wanted to know if anyone knows if everyone on UC is getting the cold weather payment ,in the areas eligible,as I heard that it's only those who are on LCW / LCWRA.

Comments

• durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 11,128 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Unfortunately I'm not entitled to it I don't think 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Not everyone is entitled, including those that have been found to have LCW/LCWRA.

You’ll usually get Cold Weather Payments if you get Universal Credit and you’re not employed or self-employed. One of the following must also apply:

You’ll also be eligible if you have a disabled child amount in your claim, whether you’re employed or not.

This means that those that are working will not be entitled to the CWP even if it's the partner that's working and not the person that has been found to have LCW/LCWRA. If you have a disabled child element on your claim you'll be entitled even if you work.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    Options

It depends which benefits you claim, if any. Full details here. https://www.gov.uk/cold-weather-payment/eligibility

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • gjw59help
    gjw59help Community member Posts: 68 Courageous
    edited December 2022
    Options
    And again people on Contribution Based benefits are left out in the cold!
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2022
    Options
    gjw59help said:
    And again people on Contribution Based benefits are left out in the cold!

That's because contributions based benefits are not means tested, This has been answered so many times on your other threads. The most recent was on this thread here. https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/599535#Comment_599535

• gjw59help
    Options
    I know but it's still not fair,when asked about CB benefit claimants not getting any help the Gov spokesperson said "they may be able to get money from other sources" what baloney!
  • poppy123456
    Options
    gjw59help said:
    I know but it's still not fair,when asked about CB benefit claimants not getting any help the Gov spokesperson said "they may be able to get money from other sources" what baloney!

If you didn't claim contributions based then you would be even worse off because your wifes state pension would reduce any income related benefits. Again, all of this was advised on the thread linked above.
    As your wife is state pension age then she will be entitled to the Winter fuel payment. You will also be entitled to the £400 energy grant paid monthly up until March 2023.
  • gjw59help
    Options
    Well here's some figures,I have £20 left till the end of next week and not much chance of a Xmas dinner thanks to the DWP though I got an extra £10 and the energy grant is only for electricity and lasts 3 weeks now,my point has been all along that those on IR benefits are better off than CB and it is unfair
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I’m sorry but you are still missing the point we’ve been trying to make. If you were claiming IR ESA then you would be £24 per week worse off, which is more £1,200 per year. 
    So if you were claiming IR and were entitled to the Cost of living payments of £650 you would still be worse off than you are now by £600. 
    You just can’t see the bigger picture. 
    I’m out now because we just keep going round in circles. 

• durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 11,128 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

It depends which benefits you claim, if any. Full details here. https://www.gov.uk/cold-weather-payment/eligibility

Mine doesn't cover it. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It sounds like a lot of our wonderful community members are having a really difficult time. I wish I could take it all away and make it all better for each and every one of you.

Unfortunately, I can't. However, what I can and will do is listen to each and every one of you, support all of you and encourage you all to continue supporting each other  <3
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Autism_at_40
    Autism_at_40 Community member Posts: 724 Pioneering
    Options
    I didn't even know about it until I got an email about it, I checked my account and I had already received £25 for last week! :-)  Which I will be giving to the kind friends who are letting me stay with them.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It is really kind of you to want to give it to your friends who are letting you stay with them @Autism_at_40. I can hear what a lovely surprise this was for you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Autism_at_40
    Options
    I claim UC and I'm in the group where I don't have to apply for jobs but do have to prepare. Think it's the middle one. I also claim PIP but I haven't had no Cold Weather Payments for NE33 area. I also don't work at the moment either. So, do I need to contact my work coach ? Thank you.
    You have to check this: https://www.gov.uk/cold-weather-payment
    You enter your postcode and it tells you if you were entitled to any payments.
    It might be that your weather wasn't cold enough to qualify.
    I am on the same as you UC - Limited Capability for Work (but not work related activities) and PIP.  Mine was automatically paid.  You could speak with your work coach, if you feel you should've got one.
  • Autism_at_40
    Options
    Hi, thank you for your reply. Well the website says "

The number of Cold Weather Payments due in this area from

1 November 2022 to 31 December 2022 is: 2

But I've not received anything in my bank, or added in with my UC payments, so guess I'll be emailing them to find out. Thank you @a@Autism_at_40

Have you checked your account from November onwards?  They are separate to the UC payments.
  • Autism_at_40
    Options
    OK, well in that case, you should ask.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I have just messaged asking if I am eligible, and mentioned the 2 payments for my postcode, and also that I am in the support group, and mentioned that I have not received anything - see what they come back with.

For the avoidance of doubt, Support Group is related to ESA and not UC. If you're in the group where you have to prepare to work in the future then this is the LCW group. LCWRA (Support Group equivelant) is where you don't have to anything.
    For the cold weather payment you'll only be entitled if either you or a partner (if you're claiming UC with a partner) are not employed or self employed.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Hi @poppy123456 - It's the LCW group I am in, and no, I haven't been working since July. I was only doing PT, and been on UC about 19 months now, so I believe I should be entitled too it. Thank you. :smile:

Assuming also that you don't live in Scotland? Cold weather payments have changed to winter heating payment up there.
  • gjw59help
    Options
    Only Income Related benefits claimants get the extra help and no it isn't fair I am on Contribution Based ESA Support group and over half of my income now pays for Energy but managing okay on one meal a day quite worried though.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    gjw59help said:
    Only Income Related benefits claimants get the extra help and no it isn't fair I am on Contribution Based ESA Support group and over half of my income now pays for Energy but managing okay on one meal a day quite worried though.

However, if you were claiming IR ESA then you would be considerably worse off than you are now. All of this has been covered many times with you on other threads.
    If you're struggling to pay your energy bills your Local Authority should have a household support fund to help those on low income, speak to them. Your energy supplier may also have extra funding to help you but you'll need to look on their website or contact them.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.