Chronic Pain — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Chronic Pain

Lisaxx Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Endless Pain. I've got leg ulcers & it doesn't matter what I say to the Nurses. I'm pointing out changes,problems.pain ! They don't answer me they talk over me & carry on regardless. I tried phoning tissue viability nurses & they said call the skin team. I call the skin team & they say tell your nurse. I explained that I've told them & they say ask for a referral. I ask for a referral & hey 6 months later I'm still asking. It's a situation that you feel like you're fighting & it shouldn't be like this. Chronic Pain totally takes over your life. Is there anybody who has any suggestions ?


  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 15,879 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2022
    Hi @Lisaxx - & welcome to the community. I've had leg ulcers, but probably nowhere near as bad as yours as I only continued with my normal pain relief (which is more for neuropathic pain).
    I'm sorry that those who should be supporting you aren't listening, & are passing the buck. Have you tried contacting your GP to ask for their advice?
    I don't know whether this is helpful or not, but may I ask what sort of treatment you have for your leg ulcer? I ask because with the first ulcer I had I had an older community nurse who came to see me, & changed mine to an iodine dressing, which she had always found helpful. This was covered with a sterile non-adherent dressing. These are the ones, which I have since used twice in the past year:

  • Lisaxx
    Lisaxx Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you for your reply. I'm on Gabapentin. My Doctor has tried but I'm now housebound so not only can I get an appointment but I couldn't attend for 1 anyway. I can no longer feel my foot but the pain is unbelievable. I've got an ulcer on the inside & outside of my ankle & 1 on the top. I don't know what to do anymore. I'm so grateful for your reply.Thank you
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 15,879 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lisaxx -  I'm so sorry for what you're going through. Can you ring your GP for at least a telephone assessment?
    I take Pregabalin to help with pain as I couldn't tolerate Gabapentin, which is in the same family of drugs. It seems Drs often prescribe Gabapentin first as it's the cheaper option, but Pregabalin can offer the same amount of pain relief yet at a lower dosage.
    Do you know why you get leg ulcers (mine is due to the fragile skin that some of us with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome experience)?
    My last ulcers have been around my ankle too, but to have so many at once must be incredibly distressing.
    Please try & discuss this with your GP, as not being able to feel your foot & being in so much pain needs addressing.
    Are you prescribed iodine dressings?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

    I suffered with foot ulcers fie years and used to be dressed with iodine as above 

    Please speak to your gp about district nurses coming out to dress them which I had done 

    I also take pregablin 

    Its important to make sure the ulcers are not infected as you may need antibiotics and more intense treatment 

    Please please get them sorted as the consequences can be devastating if infection takes hold . Believe me I know from experience 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    If your gp doesn't take this seriously they need reporting 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Campaigns Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @lisaxx :) 

    I'm really sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your leg ulcers, and that you haven't been able to get through to a doctor who's able to help. I agree that it's important for you to seek medical advice. 

    Could you get a telephone appointment with your GP, as chiarieds has suggested? 

    You've mentioned having a nurse- do they visit you at home? 

    Does anyone live with you, or do you live alone?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

    Join our call for an equal future.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.